Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

HID Lighting Upgrade

Albiesc5

Corvette
2003 Coupe Torch Red
I've been looking to do the HID lighting upgrade. Has anyone bought the kit from fleabay's two main vendors? The more expensive claims the ballast is made in Germany. Does it matter where it's made? If you look at the Toshiba HIR lamps, they sound pretty good to. What are your thoughts.

I've been looking to do the HID lighting upgrade. Has anyone bought the kit from fleabay's two main vendors? The more expensive claims the ballast is made in Germany. Does it matter where it's made? If you look at the Toshiba HIR lamps, they sound pretty good to. What are your thoughts.

I looked into HID's awhile back and decided not to install them. Instead I just installed PIAA high intensity bulbs and they light up the road really good. The good part about that is you can replace both high and low beams for about $150. I've seen where a single HID replacement can cost anywhere from $150-$200 ea.

The HID unit I was considering is DOT compliant and is advertised as a "plug and play". There's no cutting or soldering required to install the kit. It's made by Vette-HID. I believe their system sells for $1500. Maybe more as of this date.

www.vette-hid.com

I looked into HID's awhile back and decided not to install them. Instead I just installed PIAA high intensity bulbs and they light up the road really good. The good part about that is you can replace both high and low beams for about $150. I've seen where a single HID replacement can cost anywhere from $150-$200 ea.

The HID unit I was considering is DOT compliant and is advertised as a "plug and play". There's no cutting or soldering required to install the kit. It's made by Vette-HID. I believe their system sells for $1500. Maybe more as of this date.

www.vette-hid.com

I tried to access the website and was unable to locate unit kit for C5's.

I just installed in both my Vette & my truck. I got them for $50 + shipping
the fellow from Maryland got them to me fast the ones from China a bit longer.
Both work well (one bulb was bad) much brighter than silver stars and so far no one has fliped highs on me. Ballast & bulbs only plug & play no issues with the doors openin or closing either.
:boogie

I just installed the low beam HID's in my '03 Z06. I tried to buy them from flea-bay but could not get an account since someone using my e-mail address already had an account and I couldn't get it straightened out!!??^%$@#@&*$# I wound up buying the kit from the guy in Houston for $249. I know, too much, but he gives a one year warranty--it was plug and play and they are FANTASTIC!! no matter what brand you buy. All my parts are from Taiwan and mainland China--so what else is new??!! Hope this helps.:)

I just installed the low beam HID's in my '03 Z06. I tried to buy them from flea-bay but could not get an account since someone using my e-mail address already had an account and I couldn't get it straightened out!!??^%$@#@&*$# I wound up buying the kit from the guy in Houston for $249. I know, too much, but he gives a one year warranty--it was plug and play and they are FANTASTIC!! no matter what brand you buy. All my parts are from Taiwan and mainland China--so what else is new??!! Hope this helps.:)
Some forum members are having issues with headlamp doors not closing properly. Why is this problme happening? Some fleabay vendors are claiming that their ballasts are made in Germany (Bosch) and therefore better. Others vendors HID systems are made in China, Korea etc. I'm at a loss, any feedback.

Albies;
It appears that on some early C-5's there MAY be an issue with headlights not opening or closing after this mod. My guy included a picture of the underhood fuse box and there are two 10 Amp headlight mini-fuses which you change to 20 Amp and that solves the problem IF you have it. I did not have any problem(s) on my '03. Write me back channel at melsy@bellsouth.net if you'd like to discuss.:)
Mel

Unless you have a projector housing, you wasting your money. :eyerole
newcamera033wa3.jpg

Unless you have tried it (I have) don't knock it!
it does work much better than stock. I haven t tried a projector setup or seen one in use but they are much more expensive than just converting bulbs :)

BTW nice car!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom