Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! High octane fuel.

B

bob silvis

Just got a 66 427-390hp. What are you guys with big blocks and or higher compression engines running for fuel? Any problems with 10% ethanol? What about octane boost. What brand do you use if any?

There's no reason for your car not to run perfectly on 91 or 93 pump gas. Almost all octane boosters are snake oil to one degree or another, typically a bottle will boost the octane by 0.1 point, not the 1.0 they seem to promise. You didn't ask but no need for 'lead' either.

As for ethanol, I've never had a problem, and have been using it for about 20 years. If a person does tell you that it's evil and is actually satan incarnate, ask them if they're speaking from personal experience or just something they heard or read on the internet.

Mikey - but, but it's on the internet, it's gotta be true! (VBG)

The only problem I've experienced with up to 10% ethanol is it gums up the small holes in carburetors in yard equipment I don't use much.

(Or is that as often as I should use it?? ;LOL;LOL)

The only problem I've experienced with up to 10% ethanol is it gums up the small holes in carburetors in yard equipment I don't use much.

(Or is that as often as I should use it?? ;LOL;LOL)

On a sort of serious note- either use the equipment more often, or run the tool dry between uses.

Thanks for the advice on high octane fuel

Found a local source of 110 octane racing fuel bulk. (out of a gas pump). Plan on mixing about 1 to 3 with 93 octane premium pump fuel. First tank seems to work fine. 427 390hp with 4speed and 3:70 gears gets up and goes. First big block owned. Thanks for your reply.

I ran my '67 427/390 on mid grade without any pinging or knocking with the timing set right on specs.

Tom

when I owned my 1963 Z06 with the 360 horsie fuel-injected 11.25 compression ran 93 pump gas all day long with no problems - LADY ran like a scared cat all the time! (VBG)

I run REC90 (no Ethanol) gas in my 1964 L76 327 365 h.p. 11:1 compression - runs fine, pricey at 3.27 per gallon. Go to Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada an click on what stat you are in and then the closest city. Also there is a great app for the iPhone that gives you a constantly updated map view with sations and driving distance with price, really good app. Then you always know wher you can get ethanol free gas.

On a sort of serious note- either use the equipment more often, or run the tool dry between uses.[/QUOTE
I run the chainsaws to cut wood and the yard tools in season as needed. I don't always need to cut wood in 90+/32C+. Because there is nothing to mow; nor do I mow in winter.

AFA, the cars and truck go; we use Costco's 80 or 93 octane ethanol with no issues. IMO, ethanol seems to gum up matters when the yard equipment isn't used. AFA, the vehicles, it works fine because they don't sit unused for months.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom