Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hood cracked at hinge

V

Vette66AirCoupe

I recently purchased a '66 coupe. I've discovered a problem that I did not notice before I purchased the car. On the underside of the hood where the hinge attaches on the drivers side there is a crack in the fiberglas. :( The crack is severe enough that it separates when I rock the hood back to release the catch on the prop. It seems like somebody has forced the hood too far open at some point and caused this crack. I wouldn't call it a delamination from the looks of it, definatley a crack. The problem is not visible from the top side of the hood but I'm concerned that I may end up with a much more severe problem if I let this condition exist much longer. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of problem and how did you or your shop repair it?

I've seen this problem more on Sharks than on mid-years but I would imagine the fix (or one of them) would be the same, aothough the ones I've seen wouldn't fly as a true resto. The flat metal bracket is replaed with a longer one that extends beyond the crack then the hinge hardware is mounted to the nex bracket, providing a longer brace.

I've never paid attention to the closing of mid-year hoods but on Sharks the cause is actually the oposite of what you'd expect. It's cause by people letting the hoods slam shut by dropping them. When the rear of the hood drops onto the cowl area it forces the leading edge of the hood to jump up a bit. After years of this you get the cracks. My shark had the same crack and it was at the front of the hinge bracket.

Maybe some of the mid-year guys have another repair method that won't ruin originality so much as a longer bracket.

Good luck!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom