Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hood question

90 Corvette ZR-1

Corvette
90 Red ZR-1
What years did the NACA (I think that's what its called), hood come on the TTs? I am talking about the hood that has the twin scoops on the nose like
i-5.JPG

Thanks all.

90 Corvette ZR-1 said:
What years did the NACA (I think that's what its called), hood come on the TTs?
Thanks all.

1987 only - some VERY LATE 87's had a flat hood though - one had "Blisters" instead (conversion car done later on)

VERY intimidating look ;)

Thinking of coming over to the dark side?????

A b2k has always been on my list of cars to own. But for me it would have to be a 90 areobody or a 91 areo or non areo. I have been considering a late 80's just to say I have the 4+3, and with that hood the 87 is looking more attractive to me. Now to put that hood on one of the areobody cars................

I know this question may get under the skin of some of the owners here like it does with the ZR-1 guys but I feel I must ask it. I have heard of several B2k's that have needed to be rebuilt after rods have been shoved through the blocks. Is this a common occurance or just random ones?

edit: are the scoops functional (looks like they would feed air to the ICs or are they just decritive like the one on my GT?

There have been a few that have put rods thru the block, but its usually due to detonation or abuse.... Definitely not the norm.

I agree, the 87 hood looks tough. I would go for an 88+ due to the larger turbos, better brakes.

Did all the years have the dynamags? Also what is the "wonderbar" mod I hear about? Can the turbo's be upgraded?

90 Corvette ZR-1 said:
A b2k has always been on my list of cars to own.

edit: are the scoops functional (looks like they would feed air to the ICs or are they just decritive like the one on my GT?

The NACA Ducts feed the intercoolers - on "flat hood" cars, the ducting is fed from underneath in the front - On 87's it runs into NACA's and then... (see pic;) )
attachment.php

90 Corvette ZR-1 said:
Did all the years have the dynamags? Also what is the "wonderbar" mod I hear about? Can the turbo's be upgraded?

in 1987, Dymags were an option in both 16" natural finish and 17" silver finish - 88+ cars got Dy's till they ran out (then went to OZ's like Luigi's and 8388's 91's)

Wonderbar is how the air is fed through the frame into the turbos - Mod is a bigger and redesigned wonderbar :)

Hope this helps - Aren't you glad we are going to be "near section A" at Carlisle - sooo close :beer

See ya at the show :v

I have a feeling that I am going to be spliting my time between the LT5 registry tent where I will be helping and the Callaway tent. I'll be easy to spot I'll be probably the only 21 year old at the LT5 regisrty tent with jeans on lol.

You need to go for a ride in a TT. wait a minute, you better not. Unless you can afford to run out and buy one, cause that's exactly whats gonna happen if you go for a ride.:Steer

I am hoping for a ride at Carlisle if anyone would like to offer. I hate to ask but this is one of those I can't pass up.

May the G forces be with you:D

90 Corvette ZR-1 said:
I am hoping for a ride at Carlisle if anyone would like to offer. I hate to ask but this is one of those I can't pass up.

I am sure something can be worked out - we will have a whole lot of Callaways - Every kind of Callaway Corvette is scheduled to be there - See ya at the show :beer

I can't want to see/get pictures of/ talk to all of you. This is gona be fun.

A little more on the "wonderbar". It is actually a structural member in the front of the car. Callaway replaces the stock brace between the two front frame rails with a hollow cross member that has one air inlet in the front and two outlets at the rear (One for each turbo). There should even be a label on it that says something about not drilling holes in it.

Stock boost is right around 12.3lbs. or 54hg on the boost gauge. I think the earlier cars like the '87's may have been a bit less like 52hg.

I'd say an above normal number of TTs have put rods through the blocks. They are the weak link in the engine. Callaway used Chevy "pink rods" which are forged and originally used in the LT1 350 small block of the early '70s. They aren't really that strong. Late TTs got stronger rods. Mine was rebuilt by Callaway when it put a rod through the block and they used Carrillo rods. Most if not all cars that went back for engine upgrades or rebuilds got these along with the Speedsters and late '91 cars. As Josh already said, it was likely a problem like detonation that caused the failure in most of the cars that blew up.

In my opinion the best looking idea Callaway come up with for feeding fresh are into the intercoolers was the hood blister scoops. Not that I'm biased or anything. ;)

Kevin does your car have the upgraded wonderbar? Do you have pics of it? Im interested to see the difference between it and the 88-89 Wonderbars.

SurfnSun said:
Kevin does your car have the upgraded wonderbar? Do you have pics of it? Im interested to see the difference between it and the 88-89 Wonderbars.

Yes, I do. No pics but I'll try to get some and post.

I am already staying at the secret hotel in question. Just look for the 21 year old at the bar. I'll try and ware something that will stand out so I'll be easy to pick out.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom