Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Important! Horsepower,anybody's, guess

corvette addict

Corvette
2015 Z51 Black/Black
Well I have finally satisfied my curiosity about horsepower and misleading numbers from the manufacturer.My base 2010 automatic coupe with listed horsepower of 430 was put on a dyno a couple of weeks ago and I find that the engine puts out a whopping 363 HP :eyerole. So what gives? The guy had his .hit together so I know he done me right. He says the 430 number is at the flywheel. He's going to dyno a new ZO6 in a couple of weeks. It will be interesting to see what the numbers are on that car. So GM just strokes the owners of the Corvette with numbers that don't help the performance of the car ? Maybe I'm just ignorant of the game. Flywheel numbers don't really help the car go do they? Comments anyone? Help me understand. Please
Thanks,

Corvett Chucky

HP numbers are rated at the flywheel. Your guy is correct. ~15% driveline losses is about right.

Horsepower is part of the equation- as is weight, torque, and gearing.

I've seen 1st gen RX7s with LS1s that were "slow" because they couldn't get traction. I've seen high HP engines in cars that are slower than lower HP cars because of gearing, weight, etc.

15% loss is not too bad actually. Flywheel HP is your baseline. :)

Dawn... If you need more speed... I'd go for gears. LOL

Ditto patriotpa.

The OEMs use engine dynos to measure HP and they fit in a small room. In addition, the engine is bolted in place; no straps which is a lot safer. The temperature of the room can be raised or lowered. Although it isn't as good as driving the car in cold weather; it is a decent indicator and a lot less costly.
The whole vehicle is on a chassis dyno. As stated an engine dyno measures flywheel horsepower and a chassis dyno measures rear wheel horsepower.

I doubt there's anything wrong with your car "Corvett Chucky". The engine is rated at 430-hp SAE net at the flywheel.

The transmission, drive axle, axle shafts, tires and friction between the tires and the road all "use up" some of that power as it makes its way to the pavement.

363 at the wheels is just about right for a car with 430 at the flywheel.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom