Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hot breath !!

C3alex

Corvette
1978 L-82 Silver anniversary
I am going to return my 78 L82 back to cowl induction like the earlier years. In the meantime my engine will be sucking the hot air that's under the hood. I have removed the over and around factory setup for cooling system service and i'm not going to [place it back....(hate it)

A long time ago I owned a 65 corvette and boy did that little dude run !!!.....point being, it sucked warm engine-bay air.

Could someone explain the differences between the engine sucking hot air verses cold air and why the factory went to great lengths to get cold air to the carb. I realise newer tech. means different designs but my 65 sure didn't need the cold air.

Cold air is more dense and improves the fuel/Air charge density into the combustion chamber, simple as that

I appreciate your answer sixfooter but, how would this effect the performance of the engine. I need only for the engine to run efficiently for a few months while the cowl induction system is being fabricated.; it would not have to be at peak performance.

Sucking the hot air from the engine bay is not going to hurt your performance (at least not any way you'll really notice).

Most cold air intakes advertise a 5-10 horsepower improvement, but that is usually around 4,000 rpm. At that point it isn't so much the air temp, but the less restrictive piping.

You won't hurt anything. The worst it would do is make you appreciate the cowl induction even more.

Good Luck!

Thanks guys for some great answers. :beerWhile we're on the subject,

I'm going to design a cowl induction similer to the earlier C3's with a look of a 65 BB hood. I am being very careful in my design to keep direct air flow from the carb throat. I want to make sure that I give the Q-jet what it needs at w.o.t. but can still cruise in the rain without inducing moisture.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom