Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

"Hot & Dry vs. 4 Season Climate

J

Jimmy C

I've brought this topic up before elsewhere and still feel very strongly about it, and want to "take my hat off" to the guys who run these super clean cars up north where the weather is constantly working against them.
Growing up in New York, I saw, as a kid, the late '50s and '60s vehicles rust away to the point of floor boards totally rusting out and the old rocker panels and fenders going away, etc., in just afew short years. Ofcourse the newer vehicles do much better w/ the salt and cinders and cold wet weather, but it's still a very big factor especially in comparison w/ the hot dry climates like here in the Southern part of Central Texas. (My father had a '57 Plymouth that was only four years old and the floor was rusted away to the point that when my Great Uncle John, a big guy from Hoboken, N.J., leaned/pushed back to fix his over coat under him, the whole front seat went over into the back, as my father said, "this has those new bucket seats, Uncle John." My father had a body shop at the time and lead was still widely used. ) Even if the body isn't surface rusted or rusted through, there's still rust on the frame and the evidence of being in that climate w/ the oxidized parts under the hood, and the super crudded-up bolts in the under carriage, etc.. I remember reading magazine articles about all the custom cars in places like California, where stuff like Big Daddy Roth's rides were on display. The guys who drag-raced cars or who had super clean customs where I grew up, only had them out during the good weather, which was the summer-time, just prior and just after, and when the weather began to change, the tracks closed and the customs were put up until next year.
Being here in Texas now, makes me feel guilty, like I'm cheating in some way, as the vehicles out here w/ alot of years on them are still very clean and straight. Simply put, you could go on forever if the mechanical side of your ride is kept up. The body, unless it meets w/ a collision, will stay in good shape w/ little care f/ a very long time.
My point being, hope I didn't get too long winded, is that I have a great deal of respect f/ you guys and girls who have a very clean and/or older custom vehicle up north in the "4 season" states or Canada, where there's more maintenance time when you can't drive it than there is cruising time when you can. Compared to a place like here in Texas, it's a much tougher job maintaining a ride that's kept in great shape. And by the looks of many of the 'Vettes on this site that are owned by people from the north, there's alot of time and effort spent on maintaining some great looking rides. (Just this morning, while reading through some topics, I was looking, in awww, at afew of the 'Vettes owned by guys up north. What cars!!!) My "hat is off" to you guys. Keep up the great work and clear strong dedication.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom