Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hot Spot in Center Console

Corvette
08 Jetstream Blue Z51 coupe
Yesterday on the way home from Bowling Green I noticed a place just behind the shifter on the drivers side of the console that was very warm. It was several inches long and a couple inches wide. The opposite side of the console(passenger side) was cool. Has anyone else experenced this? Is it typical or is there a seal/boot that I need to look at. It was really throwing off a considerable amount of heat.

Its very typical and don't worry about it.

HTH

JB

You will most likely feel it on both sides of the console. If anyone is interested, I am making up a titanium shield that fastens to the center console area on the underside that will shield the exhaust pipe heat from the tunnel area.

:beer

It's pretty normal in a C5. The cats are below the center console. I installed a Koolmat heat shield under the tunnel cover and used Reflectix to insulate under the console

You will most likely feel it on both sides of the console. If anyone is interested, I am making up a titanium shield that fastens to the center console area on the underside that will shield the exhaust pipe heat from the tunnel area.

:beer

I did the same thing with aluminum. I fabbed a plate so I have a 3/8" air space between the tunnel plate and the sides of the tunnel to remove the heat from the exhaust. It reduced internal tunnel temps by 20 degrees when cruising and 30 degrees in higher load conditions.

It made a big difference.

Agree, normal. Front half Kool Mats fixes this problem and reduces noise. Rear half Kool Mats are mainly for noise reduction.

Installing front and back Kool Mats was the best money I have spent on my C5.

it's nice during the winter
during the summer , not so much

I did the same thing with aluminum. I fabbed a plate so I have a 3/8" air space between the tunnel plate and the sides of the tunnel to remove the heat from the exhaust. It reduced internal tunnel temps by 20 degrees when cruising and 30 degrees in higher load conditions.

It made a big difference.
You resurrected a 5 year old thread?:eyerole

:L:L:L:L:L

I noticed that too!!

How you doin' Norty?? Keeping the MVCC boys in check these days?
My new home in Springfield is great, but I miss some of the SoCal cruises.
Still drivin' your old Z?

Dennis

ps: sorry if I highjacked this just alittle! :eyerole

I'm frequently amazed at the threads that get pulled out of the Way Back Machine(TM) and revived. I learned to stop trying to figure it out: it's all part of the rich tapestry that is the :CAC

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom