Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How do I fix this fiberglass crack? pic

Vref

Corvette
65 Roadster
How do I fix this fiberglass crack? Its on the inside front drivers side wheel well on a 65

wheelwellcrack.jpg

Vref, It's not a crack in the fiberglass. What you are seeing is a separation between the top of the fender, and the inner fender. These two panels are normally solidly bonder together, but incorrect previous repairs, or major stress between the two panels, can cause this type of separation.

The best way to repair this type of damage, is to carefully pry the two panels apart, and using the correct bonding adhesive, squeeze as much of the product as you can, into the opening, and then remove whatever tools you used to separate them and let the adhesive set up properly.

I don't know of any tools that can be used to help in pulling them together before the adhesive hardens, other then drilling a few holes , and using screws to pull them closer together. The screws can later be removed, and the holes filled.

Stepinwolf

IH2LOSE said:
Look like a i piece front end. It may actually be a crack,

Show us a picture from the engine side

Sorry, :nono even with a one piece front clip, the fenders, and inner fenders are two completely different pieces, and must be bonded together when the front end is installed on the car.

There is a 90 degree bend, where the separation is, so you won't see it from the engine compartment, because it behind the inner vertical lip. :ugh

Stepinwolf

I had to replace the entire right inner fender on my 66 and, from the picture, it appears to be a separation. We utilized the proper adhesive and where the inner fender and the hood drip rail connected we used thin wood blocks and 'C' clamps. be careful that you don't change the arc of the hood drip rail as it could affect the way the hood sits. Since we replaced the entire inner fender that was of concern.

Steve

stepinwolf said:
Vref, It's not a crack in the fiberglass. What you are seeing is a separation between the top of the fender, and the inner fender. These two panels are normally solidly bonder together, but incorrect previous repairs, or major stress between the two panels, can cause this type of separation.

The best way to repair this type of damage, is to carefully pry the two panels apart, and using the correct bonding adhesive, squeeze as much of the product as you can, into the opening, and then remove whatever tools you used to separate them and let the adhesive set up properly.

I don't know of any tools that can be used to help in pulling them together before the adhesive hardens, other then drilling a few holes , and using screws to pull them closer together. The screws can later be removed, and the holes filled.

Stepinwolf

I am just making a guess here, but short of what Stepinwolf has suggested here the only other option I would see is to get some wooden pieces and maybe a couple sections of those long threaded bolt sections with nuts. Lowe's and Home Depot sell and make some type of clamp assembly. You could maybe gin up one side to be sort of like a one-sided "C" clamp to attach on the engine side from within the wheel well. You may have to feed it in from the wheel side and then halfway assemble it before putting a bonding agent on the fiberglass. Then put a horizontal piece of wood inside the wheel side of the clamp to hold it for the bonding agent to set up. It appears from the photo that there would be enough room with the wheel off

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom