Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How do i get my rear red brake lenses (plastic) looking shiny again ?

S

SwaveDave

What product is best for this ? They are not scratched , but are dull. Thanks.

SwaveDave

Eagle One makes some plastic lense cleaner, as well as the other big houses, such as Meguiar's, etc.. It should clean and polish them right up for you. ;)

_ken :w

REFINISHING PLASTIC TAIL LIGHT LENSES

I plagarized this from Eastwood Company for you: ;)

We had recently purchased a late model used car that had seen too many trips through a brush style car wash. A no-no for any real car enthusiast. But, for the populous, those time-saving, discount gas station car wash machines are a mite bit tempting.

The whole car had taken on a patina from the swilling automated car wash brushes. We knew that we would be able to restore the paint work in short order with Meguiar's brand products sold by Eastwood. However, we wanted to concentrate at this time on the plastic taillight, headlight and decorative trim. The objective was to rejuvenate these areas to a "like-new" finish. We selected AutoSol Paste for this project (Item-no# 13175), may be better to recommend the 100gm Tube(#13170) instead of the 1000gm can (#13175) as this stuff goes a long way.

We first set about to carefully wash the entire vehicle, eliminating dirt, grit and contamination. Turning our attention to the taillights, we applied AutoSol by hand. We applied a small amount to a clean dampened cloth, and, with only a small amount of pressure and elbow grease, we could see out taillight lenses rejuvenating before our eyes. A quick final polish with a clean rag had all but eliminated the car wash brush marks.

If you are interested in a solution that takes less sweat, try this. Apply AutoSol to the taillight lenses with a damp rag. Use an Eastwood loose 40-ply 4" buff wheel (Item-no# 13042) attached to a Wheel Arbor (Item-no #13064) on your electric drill. Buff the surface at 90° angles. Be sure to occasionally check for heat build-up. Though you'll most likely find very little, better to be aware of the potential for heat build-up than to not pay attention to the possibility at all. Within a few minutes your taillight lenses will be transformed to like-new condition.

After the taillights, we turned our attention to the plastic headlamp lenses that suffered from the same problem as the taillight lenses. The AutoSol cut through the dullness in short order. Deeper stone chips could not be removed, but, overall, our headlights were as clear as ever.

Next, we applied the same procedures to detail the car's ornamental plastic grille lens. The results were equally wonderful!

AutoSol has many excellent applications on metals, too. We will be discussing those applications in future editions of Eastwood's Let's Talk… exclusive online feature.

_ken :w

I've had good luck with the 3M Marine Clear Plastic cleaner and polish. Had the stuff on hand for my boat plastics and thought I'd try it on some hazed automotive lenses. Was very imressed.

After you have brought the lenses up to where you want them as far as appearance, consider maintaining them with Plexus - it's good stuff. :D I use it on both my Vette and the daily driver. Does a nice job at maintaining the lens that covers your gauges as well.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom