Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How do you determine heat loss

supernatural400

Corvette
1993 SuperNatural 400 #5 /99 LS1 Z28 N2O equipped
I'm trying to figure out how much heat loss my garage is having.
right now I have 3...8x7 garage doors. One is insulated the other two are not, one being corregated fiberglass and the other wood.
After insulating the second floor where the cars are I still think my propane heater is using too much propane to keep it heated, about 2-3 lbs a day for a temp of 60 degrees. Now keep in mind the basement level is not insualted, so I know there is some loss there, and the third level is partially insulated. I have filled every nook and cranny with either fiberglass insualtion or the expanding foam type between the second and third floors. I am having the two non insulated garage doors replaced this friday with two that are insulated. I can't imaging what's it's going to cost to heat when the temp drops in the teens and twenties this winter, I think the 2-3 lbs per day is alot

I know the main source of garage heat loss is through the door... even an insulated one loses a ton through the cracks, sides, and top... Also, understand that most builders don't put any insulation in the walls of the garage.... You could use a blow in insulation to fill in the walls... this would really help the heat loss as well.

all the doors around the outside have weather stripping along the sides, top and bottom to keep heat in. I just spent the last 6 months working on the second level totally insulating the walls with R13 with either drywall covering it or 1/4 plywood. the roof I just finished with R19, no covering though

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom