Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How hot is too hot?

gkurtz

Corvette
92 Bright Red Convertable
Took the car out for its long awaited first spring run. I was paying attention to the coolant temperature since this was the first time the cars been out since the hoses were replaced. When driving I ran at 193-200, but when I got home and was idling still in the driveway it went to 230 before the cooling fan came on. Only the left one seemed to come on. Should it run this hot? It was only 45 degrees out.

If you ask me...yes 230 is too hot...however GM disagrees. I know that temp is about right for the earlier C4s, probably the case with your 92 also. Just one turning on though doesn't sound right, but I'm not all that hip on how exactly the 92 operates.

Bill

The secondary cooling fan turns on at 228 so what you are seeing is about right for coolant temps. My 92 sees the same temps. BTW, turning the A/C on will automatically start the secondary fan for increased cooling.

You should keep a eye out for any dirt or debris that can block the flow of air through the A/C condensor and radiator. Look up under the nose behind the front license plate and remove any debris. You can also direct a stream of water from behind the radiator to push out any junk. If you look thru the small opening on the right side of the radiator shroud, you can get an idea of what may be in front of the radiator. There is even enough room to get a small vacuum hose in there to remove stuff.

Coolant temps are higher in later cars and that's done to insure that emissions are kept low. Hotter motors help to burn gasoline more completely and that reduces emissions.

230 is fine by GM standards. IMO, it's too hot so I had the reprogram for a 188 turn on and added 2 bottles of Water Wetter.

Our cars are bottom breathers and it will go up to 230 all day if the car stands still. Notice that when you get moving, the temperature will drop. Come to a stop light and the temperature will rise again.

Too Hot

I've driven an '86 since 1992 and it took a few years for me to be comfortable watching the temp climb into the 220's. Thirteen years at 230, no overheating related problems at all.

I am like Edmond. I could not stand the temps getting that high. So I installed a 160 degree Thermostat, and I put a different chip in that turns the fan on at 175 degrees. Now my vette never gets above 185.

230 seems high to me. My temp never goes above 220, not even with the a/c on full blast in stop-and-go traffic.

c4cruiser said:
The secondary cooling fan turns on at 228 so what you are seeing is about right for coolant temps. My 92 sees the same temps. BTW, turning the A/C on will automatically start the secondary fan for increased cooling.

You should keep a eye out for any dirt or debris that can block the flow of air through the A/C condensor and radiator. Look up under the nose behind the front license plate and remove any debris. You can also direct a stream of water from behind the radiator to push out any junk. If you look thru the small opening on the right side of the radiator shroud, you can get an idea of what may be in front of the radiator. There is even enough room to get a small vacuum hose in there to remove stuff.

Coolant temps are higher in later cars and that's done to insure that emissions are kept low. Hotter motors help to burn gasoline more completely and that reduces emissions.

This is a very important statement, I keep an eye in my radiator area, I have removed plastic bags, weeds, bugs and paper. If you Vette if running "too Hot" maybe is time to replace the thermostat and if you are doing it, put a 160 F in it.

I HATE SEEING MY CAR GET THAT HOT :mad But it does, in city traffic when it's over 80 or so, even with an upgraded $500 radiator, high volume water pump, water weter, 180 stat, manual fan switch and every other damn thing I've tried. But at 130+ mph runs nice at about 180 - 210 ;LOL

Really? Mine with the 160 stat, and the fans turning on at 175 never really gets above 180. Now I have not had it in the dog days of summer due to the car not running, but If I am on the highway it usually runs right at 160 when the Tstat opens, if I am just cruising. Oh I also have an oil cooler too.

Moonunit 451 said:
I HATE SEEING MY CAR GET THAT HOT :mad But it does, in city traffic when it's over 80 or so, even with an upgraded $500 radiator, high volume water pump, water weter, 180 stat, manual fan switch and every other damn thing I've tried. But at 130+ mph runs nice at about 180 - 210 ;LOL
I had those issues, with all the goodies, too, until I switched to a Robert Shaw thermostat. It flows more water.

WhalePirot said:
I had those issues, with all the goodies, too, until I switched to a Robert Shaw thermostat. It flows more water.

I got the Robert Shaw, --- and an oil cooler ;shrug My tuner says there are specific settings (according to I know not what) where the fan needs to come on for any given tune. I trust him nd the car runs great, so I've just decided to grit my teeth and try to ignore my discomfort :puke

228-230 is about normal for when the first fan comes on. The second comes on about 235. All sounds normal to me and these engines are designed to run hot. Just make sure there's no junk caught on the front of the radiator. There's a lot of debate about the standard 185 stat vs the 160, and I've used both. Neither do anything for keeping the high temp down on the road - once they're open, they're open and the temp will rise as conditions allow. In cooler weather, the 160 definitely will hold the temp down, but then there's an argument on the temp being too low to burn off harmful by-products. Choose your poison.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom