Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

how long could i ....?

kridgley

Corvette
1975 Corvette, White T-Top
Hey:

I noticed some pulling in the front of the vette when braking ... led me suspect air in the lines or a stuck piston in one of the calipers. My question for you, is since its not too serious, meaning the car isnt jerking too bad while braking, how long can i drive it without replacing the calipers...if drivin carefully of course. I wanted to see if I would be doing any severe damage to the braking system, dont want to make it worse than it is, Thanks.

-Kevin

Kevin,

I agree with Bobchad. Get it fixed. the majority of the stopping power is in the front brakes, and road conditions could make the matter worst.

I repaired once the only caliper that was not stainless steel out of necessity, and the kit repair lasted a good 3 years before they leaked. In times of need, the repair kit helps a lot. A bit of honing of the cylinder walls maybe needed to correct scratches or wear on them. Please consider stop using the Vette until corrected.

GerryLP:cool

I would check all your basics, tire pressure, look for fluid inside wheel, jack up front wheel and check for wheel bearing play, and any of the other common things before you assume its the caliper. My 80 pulled to the right when I used the brakes after I replace the calipers, turned out to be a combination of loose wheel bearings, idler arm worn, and a ball joint. After I fixed those little details I noticed the steering had unusual play while driving straight, opened the hood and had someone move the wheel back and fourth while looking at all the moving parts and found the steering box was loose where it bolts to the frame. Now its back to its old VETTE self!

Ron

You can be careful as you want, but all it takes is one dog running out in front of you to start a chain reaction of events that lead you into a telephone pole.

if the rotor wears thru and the caliper piston hits the fins, it will be like someone throwing a mop handle in the spokes of a bicycle.ouch

if you have to slam on the brakes in the rain the wheel may lock up also. mike

make sure you have plenty of brake fluid in the system. Some reason, mine was down and it pulled to the right. after topping off the fluid, it worked fine.

weird thing, its been a year since that happened and i haven't had to add fluid since.

I would have to agree with a majortiy of posts on here. Have it checked out. We always wish that the problem is just one thing, but with cars this old and still on the road as drivers they tend to have more then that. Take your time going through the system. I do have a question myself though. How long do calipers tend to last? Over 30 years right? I've still got two original calipers on mine (plan to replace over winter break) and wouldn't you know that I have problems with those two wheels when I last drove it. One other thing I would check that I haven't heard on here is the rubber brake lines going to the front calipers. Even if they look good on the outside they can tend to break down on the inside, look for age more then anything.

Check your caliper bolts. I had one back out... all the way out.

took it to the shop today ... waiting to hear what the damage is ... the levels were fine, everything apperared to be in order... we'll see

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom