Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: How much Freon does the AC system use?

ironmoo

Corvette
1982 white/red interior
I'm thinking out loud here so thanks for following along and your input!

...Looks like I may have to replace the AC Compressor. The car still blows cool air fine when on once or twice a minute the clutch freezes in place for a second and catches again. (causing the poor AC belt to do a massive snap/jump back into place!)

Along with that, I think there is a leak. I can now sense a slight freon smell when the AC 1st runs, or when the car is 1st shut off. It goes away quickly but it still bother me. The cost of replacing the compressor clutch (on a old compressor) VS a new rebuilt compressor/clutch unit is a no-brainer. I'll go with the new one.

SO....

Now if I rebuild the system with O rings etc, how much freon will I need to aquire to refill the system?
Is going to R 134 making a more sense than the old R-12 (I have access to some.)

Your thoughts or words of wisdom are welcomed!

Cheers!

-MOo!

If I remember correctly, the system uses 2.75lbs of refrigerant. There should be a label on the air box with that information. With the system on max the compressor shouldn't be cycling. It should stay on if everything is working correctly and there's enough refrigerant in the system. I'd start by trying to see if there is in fact a leak somewhere. A sniffer might be the best way to start with. It'd be better to fix the actual problem rather than taking a shot gun approach. Imagine if you pulled the system apart, replaced all the o rings, charged it up again, and the seal on the compressor was leaking, or the connections to the clutch were bad, or pressure switch wasn't any good...

As for R12 vs 134, lots of opinions on that one. I changed over to 134 mainly because of cost...wifes toes turned blue yesterday, so it works well!!:D

Careful. In your state it likely to be illegal for anyone other than a certified automotive AC technician to fool with the system.

You don't want the auto AC police knocking on your door.

:thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom