Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How Much Freon????

qwik-tripp

Corvette
1965 Triple Black 365 A/C 4sp Vert
How much freon does my 65 hold? going to have my system evacuated and recharged after i fix the leak, and would like to know proper amount in case the shop does not.

according to my '65 shop manual, it takes a 3lb 4oz charge

qwik-tripp said:
How much freon does my 65 hold? going to have my system evacuated and recharged after i fix the leak, and would like to know proper amount in case the shop does not.

Are you sticking with the R12 or switching to the 134A? What is the going price for a pound of R12 these days?

Thanks Barry. It looks to have the green o-rings which I think means R-134, I would like to keep R-12 since I've heard the higher pressure of the 134 and the hose clamps are not the best match, what do you guys think.

Is this the original AC or an aftermarket kit?

OK, that leaves me out....don't have a clue

I'd put R-134 in the system. R-12 is about $25.00/Ib. I changed out a compressor in my pickup a few years back, and haven't had any problems with the R-134.

If you put R12 in, make sure you don't have any leaks. I had a evac & recharge done last year in my '69 with "Freeze 12" (I think "real" R12 is unavailable) and while it held for a while, it eventially leaked out - and the tab was $175.

I'd like to convert to R134. Can anyone point me in the direction as to what has to be changed. Aren't those $30 conversion kits junk?

From the posts I've seen, you have to replace all the rubber O-rings and the oil - anything that is permeated with the old gas and lubricant. R134a uses a different lubricant - PAG oil, I believe. Others know more about this than I do.

I see that lots of people just replace the O-rings, evacuate the heck out of the system and then just add the new gas. I just don't know about that.

I also understand that R134a operates under higher pressure than R12 to make up the difference in efficiency. Not sure an old system would work very well if the pressure is lower.

I converted a 1967 deville for R134a and the system works great.

I had to replace the POA valve,add a low pressure switch,replaced the compressor,and the refregerant drier (as mine had a problem) quick flush and the system has been cooling the car trouble free since. this was back in 1996 or 1997.

I use a place called classic auto air out of tampa florida. For my parts and tecnical advice.I have shared this before there tecnical line has been hit or mis eather its spectacular! or you get a rude condecending fellow on the phone,if you get him just call back the next day.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom