Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How Much Grease in Ball Joints & Tie Rod Ends

kbuhagiar

Corvette
1963 Convertible 327/300 3TL
Hello, All,

I have just finished completely rebuilding & reassembling the front suspension on my '63 convertible. I am ready to apply grease to all of the ball joints, tie rod ends, idler arm, and relay rod. Is there a good way of gauging how much grease to put in? I don't want to overdo it and pop any of the seals, but I also don't want to put in too little. :confused

So, any words of wisdom with regards to the application of grease to a new front suspension?

As always, thanks in advance for any and all tips and tricks.:beer

I was taught to pump it in until a little squishes out of the seal -- then wipe off the excess.

This is probably not the best method though because on U joints , the excess tends to spray out all over the place.:)

Brian

allcoupedup said:
I was taught to pump it in until a little squishes out of the seal -- then wipe off the excess.

This is probably not the best method though because on U joints , the excess tends to spray out all over the place.:)

Brian
I pump in grease until boot starts to swell, then one more pump. But one more pump usually seems to be the one that oozes grease out, thus permitting possible moisture and dirt infiltration.

when the seal or boot starts to swell it will be enough to do the job :upthumbs steve

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom