Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How to attach door knob locks...

Stemmer

Corvette
While putting my 1960 Vette in the garage, the passenger side door lock knob fell off and I lost the little 'C' spring that fits inside the door knob. It's the same kind of 'C' spring that is also used on the door window handles...

I tried to purchase them locally but no one seem to stock them. So I purchased a GM replacement window handle locally but the C clip seems to be too big and would not lock on. Worked fine on a a window crank though....

Aa few weeks ago I included the 4 lock retainers with my next order from Corvette Central. However all 4 retainers are the same size. They appear to be for the door window handle. I spent two hours the past weekend trying to get the retainer to work with the door lock handle, but it was a no go. The lock would simply fall off... They do work fine on the window handle though.... I even used pliers to tighten the retainer, but still would not hold....

Suggestions?

TIA

Kenmo

I'm not a C1 guy but I just bought a pack of clips of assorted sizes from Advance Auto. Have you checked their website or NAPA?;shrug

Thanks kindly for the link but I'll refrain from ordering from them... That has to be one of the worst sites I've ever visited to navigate... There is also a link to request a catalog online... When you click on it it gives you a phone number... So much for "requesting online"....

After spending some time on that site, I'll not be returning to it... Again thanks... but I'm looking on how to resolve my issue not waste time on a badly designed site... (no offense to you)...

Try a local Pep boys or Auto Zone

The have the pre packaged container of misc clips...

I know the smaller size you refer to.. I believe they are included..

Red blister pack.. labled HELP products.

Worth a shot....

Vig~

Mine used to fall off about every third time I shut the door; drove me nuts. Tried several different clips, I finally just put a dab of Perma-Tex inside the lock knob and it's been fine ever since. Kind of a "Bubba" fix, but I haven't even THOUGHT about it unitl I saw your post.

Bernie O.

How hard will it be to remove using the Perma-Tex? I ask as I thought that stuff was pretty permanent?

I had to take one off about a year after I put it on: just put a piece of cardboard behind it and pry it off with a screwdriver, came right off. Was a little bit of a PITA to clean it out when I got ready to re-install, but still better than falling off all the time.

Bernie O.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom