Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How to clean cotton cloths?

6T7Redvette

What is the best way to clean cotton cloths used for waxing and polishing etc.?
I know this sounds dumb. But I am always leary of reusing towels that were cleaned. This same question would apply to cleaning microfiber towels.

I understand your position. I've washed 100% cotton towels (made in the US) and, like yourself, have not felt comfortable about reusing. I must have 20-30 towels from 2003 alone. After washing, they just weren't as soft and I didn't want to dry them along with fabric sheets or use liquid fabric softeners in the wash for fear of chemical residue that would mix with the wax and ruin the paint/dull the finish. I'd just recommend buying a new set for every wax job. I keep my old towels around for interior detail and exterior, plastic/rubber wipe-off of excess protectant.

Sorry I couldn't be of anymore help,
Kenny
:v

Must be nice to be able to afford new towels each time!! :D

Caring for your towels is equally as important the process itsself. Obviously the softer the towel the better it is for your paint...but there has to be some balance thrown in there too. If it's too soft it may leave lint or not be as absorbant.

Also, rotate your towels. If you think it's going to be bad for your paint then use it in some other capacity.

Store your towels in a plastic bag or in a covered box of some sort.

When you wash:
  • Make sure not to use bleach.
  • Use a liquid.
When you dry:
  • Don't include a dryer sheet. They can make the towel softer but also load up the fibers so that they are less absorbant.
  • Don't dry them all the way. Get them to where they are 90% dry then air dry them the rest of the way. (I have a setting on my dryer that does this for me..... so you may want to experiment with yours.)

I would only add that I personally think it's not best to use Downy or any sort of softener in the wash cycle for car towels. I want them to be absorbent and they tend to resist moisture if you soften them; in essence, you smear water around and the finish looks like hell. I use 100% cotton USA-made towels that I purchase only for car use (white, thank you)... no fabric softener in the wash cycle... no softener sheets in the drying cycle.

Wash them in soft water. They get stiff because of the soap/detergent and minerals left behind after thay are washed. With soft water and a good rinse nothing is left behind.

Since we're on the subject, how do you guys wash your waxy rags. Seems like I have to wipe down the washer tub after the first washing and then wash again. Anybody got a favorite detergent. What works best for you? I just use Tide and/or SimpleGreen. Also, what about oily rags? Talk to me, Goose!

Vinegar will help when you wash them. I put it in a Downy ball with the wash. It will help to remove any soap and minerals left over and the towels will come out naturally softer.

Liquid fabric softeners in moderation can be useful, particularly if you're drying the car with a blower. You may (or may not) lose some absorbancy, but I'd rather have to use an additional towel and have soft fabric on the finish all the time.

If you notice a difference when you dry yourself with a softened towel, it's likely your car's finish does, too. IMO, anyway.

Aurora40 said:
Vinegar will help when you wash them. I put it in a Downy ball with the wash. It will help to remove any soap and minerals left over and the towels will come out naturally softer.
BINGO! That's It! I'll also add ... then air/line dry until nearly dry ... then finish dry and fluff in dryer.
JACK:gap

F4Gary said:
Since we're on the subject, how do you guys wash your waxy rags. Seems like I have to wipe down the washer tub after the first washing and then wash again. Anybody got a favorite detergent. What works best for you? I just use Tide and/or SimpleGreen. Also, what about oily rags? Talk to me, Goose!
I've found that the grease/wax only stay if you do not have a hot water rinse. My washer does not, so I just shut off the cold water. Stupid machine doesn't know the difference. I also set it for second rinse.

My new LG washer has a "sanitize" cycle that uses superheated water in the wash and one or two rinse cycles. Washing polishing rags in that cycle removes ALL the wax and polish. I can use them on windows after washing. It's nice to know your car rags are "sanitized for your protection.":)

Micro Fiber ?

Sorry for the stupid question, but

Is it better to use micro fiber or white all cotton towels for washing?

Thanks.

I still wash and reuse sometimes, but I feel like you do. Mostly I use Wypalls and throw them away. They're lint-free, scratch-free, safer than old rags, and come in different styles for many uses. They're good for washing, waxing, cleaning, engine assembly, and degreasing. I get them from eaglesupply.biz . My '77 purrs and says "thanks" everytime I use them on her.

I wash my Zaino towels by them selves (Hot wash w/woolite),
3 warm rinses, air dry.
The other MF towels (Hot wash w/Tide or All),
2 warm rinses, air dry.

George Ware

I still wash and reuse sometimes, but I feel like you do. Mostly I use Wypalls and throw them away. They're lint-free, scratch-free, safer than old rags, and come in different styles for many uses. They're good for washing, waxing, cleaning, engine assembly, and degreasing. I get them from eaglesupply.biz . My '77 purrs and says "thanks" everytime I use them on her.

:wThis is really a neat website. Which number do you use on the Wypalls? They have quite a few on the order sheet. I like stuff like this.:thumb

SC:WTT

BTW Welcome to the CAC you will find lots a friends here.

Sorry for the stupid question, but

Is it better to use micro fiber or white all cotton towels for washing?

Thanks.
Cannon was the last domestic 100% cotton towels.Foreign towels marked 100% cotton are not.I've shifted to micro.

I wash all my towels in HOT soapy water ,Tide laundry detergent and a small touch of bleach.Then I wash them in hot water again with no detergent or additives.When ever possible I air dry 'em.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom