Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How to find a c2 to restore

• Thread starter Thread starter corvette_4765982
  • Start date Start date
C

corvette_4765982

Hi, I am on my second Corvette. My first was a 40th ruby 6 speed convert. My second is now a C5. I would like my next one to be something really special like a C2 completely restored by myself! How would I go about finding one that is worth restoring? I am not looking for a good driver to restore but something that needs the full treatment right off the bat. I have looked at the hemming motor news web site but all I seem to find are ads for people looking for cars to restore. If anyone can tell me how they found a old corvette and restored it to perfect, any advise would be helpful. Thank you!!

Keep your eye on E-Bay,Once in a while a basket case shows up for a good price!!! Afriend just finished his 62,COST him a fortune,BUT it WAS worth it.Red Red int. White top.SWEEEEEEET:D :D :D

Hello, I have a very original running driving 63 convertible i may sell. E-mail me if interested! Bob

Full self-restoration huh ? Hope you have a fully outfitted garage with all the tools.
In order of bang-for-your-buck;

1) Put wanted ads in several publications/websites (here, CF, regional NCRS sites, Trader etc); "sincere individual with cash seeks C2 project car for father/son project" etc. Most folks with a barn car they're willing to part with don't pay any attention to those "any corvette/any condition/we buy all cars" dealer want ads. They know dealers looking to restore and turn profits won't pay as much as a private party with better intentions.

2) Ask several local, then regional, then national restoration shops that have a history with Corvettes. They'll either have one on hand or know where one is.

3) eBay. You'll generally end up paying more for less since you're literally bidding against the world.

Good Luck on your quest.

My suggestion is to purchase the most car you can afford.Its always less exspencive to get one allready done.there will be plenty of wrenching work to do on the car anyways

There are plenty of C2'S out there needing a restoration.the only problem is that they are ridicolessly priced.meaning if you take the purchase price of the car then add in an estimated restoration cost,Your total cost is always much more then the cars value.

Dont get me wrong I love to work on cars.I actually feel the journey of restoring a car is much more fun then the actual fun of owning a completed car.

Also local bylines and newspaper advertizements are a good source.Most of the stuff in hemming is being sold there to get top exspousure and top price.

I have restored several cars in the past and its hard to explain the feeling you get when you take it to its first show or outing and you get complements on it.But just remember that comes with a real high price

Again Good Luck on your quest.

I'd advise buying the best car you can afford rather than taking on a basket case or project car with the intention of restoring it, especially if you haven't done it before and don't have the facilities, space, tools, part knowledge and supply network, or nuts-and-bolts product knowledge. Restoration is a long, drawn-out, and horrendously expensive proposition (I've done seven body-offs myself over the last 30 years), and is not for the faint of heart (or wallet). Probably half of the well-intentioned amateur restoration projects never get completed as people learn what I outlined above - that's where the "project cars" and "basket cases" come from.
:beer

I agree with John. Buy a car that is restorable without having to start from a basket case. You'll be dollars ahead and years ahead in the end. I found my 63 on ebay. Numbers match, most original parts, previous damage was minimal and the price was right. The cars I've seen for 15-20,000 require so much work and money that you could buy a fully restored car and have money left over before you finished. Just my 2 cents after looking for 6 months.

JohnZ said:
I'd advise buying the best car you can afford rather than taking on a basket case or project car with the intention of restoring it, especially if you haven't done it before and don't have the facilities, space, tools, part knowledge and supply network, or nuts-and-bolts product knowledge. Restoration is a long, drawn-out, and horrendously expensive proposition (I've done seven body-offs myself over the last 30 years), and is not for the faint of heart (or wallet). Probably half of the well-intentioned amateur restoration projects never get completed as people learn what I outlined above - that's where the "project cars" and "basket cases" come from.
:beer

John Z is right buy the best you can with the money you have. i have been doing vettes and other frame offs for many years. It takes alot of money , time , and work. Im not sayng not to do it but be prepared thats why you see so projects for sale. guys take the car apart and then they never finish.

corvette_4765982 said:
If anyone can tell me how they found a old corvette and restored it to perfect, any advise would be helpful. Thank you!!

I watched Hemmings Motor News for 2 years for a 63 SWC to restore before I located the ONE that fit the bill for me. I actually subscribe to the mag as well as watched them online. Corvette Trader magazine was another source I used though I did not end up buying from one listed there.

If you have the cash and the desire to do it, DO IT. I started out with little or no tools (bought them as I went). Bought every book I could find on the subject, and stuck with the plan.

I have learned so much during my restore that I would have never been able to retain by simply reading a book about it. When I say I know my Vette inside and out... I know my Vette.

It was expensive, I'll grant you that. But it was a valuable learning experience that I wouldn't trade for anything.

I'm on YOUR side,

Alann J.

Tom,

Actually I've been here for a while, just haven't posted anything. I'm trying to work on becoming a better listener. :L

Alann J.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom