Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How to find original owner's name

Jack64

Corvette
1964 coupe
I purchased my 1964 Corvette in 1970.
At the time, the State of Mass. did not have a title law.

I am now applying for a title, which requires the name of the seller.
Unfortunately, I cannot remember his name.

Any thoughts on how I can locate his name?

sounds like you need to talk to someone in the MA DMV

That seems like an unreasonable request. 50 years ago they didn't have a title law but now they do and they expect you to remember the guy's name you bought the car from? Obviously they don't know either because they didn't keep records. Sounds like you could say any name you like and they couldn't prove you wrong. I'm sure they don't have copies of license plate registrations that far back or they could supply the previous owner's name.

Tom

Tom,
I managed to get the vehicle registered and titled without the name of the original owner.
All I had to do was produce a copy of my 1970 Mass Registration for my Corvette. That sufficed as proof of ownership.
Was sweating it out !

That's great. Now you can rest easy that your title is in order. It's nice when these things work out easily and in a common sense manner.

I discovered that my '59 Corvette Indiana title had a digit missing in the VIN after I lived in Ohio for over 30 years. Don't know why I never saw it before but it showed the last digits as 81 and not 881. I called the license bureau in Angola IN and the lady told me that I would have to present the title with 3 Indiana police officer statements as to the correct number and they would have to actually see the VIN plate; no pictures. Kind of hard to do when your car is apart for restoration. I asked in Ohio and she told me any licensed Ohio car dealer can verify the VIN and the Indiana errored title was not a problem. They just needed to know what the VIN actually says. Since we have local people in the car business this total Indiana pain in the butt became a piece of cake.

Tom

GR8 story Tom!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom