Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How to jumpstart?

Corvette
1972 LT-1 Coupe w/ AC
The batt. in the 'vette is dead...without removing the battery from the back, where would I attach the negative (-) clamp to get a good ground (within reach of the jumper cable about 3 feet) Is it safe to attach to the negative (-) terminal on the dead battery?

Just this past weekend I had to jumpstart my battery as it to was dead. I clamped it right to the negative terminal of the battery. The guy that boosted me about two weeks ago from the motor club said that it is ok to clamp it to the negative clamp. I always leave the battery door open for a bit before jumstarting. Hope that helps.

Hook the jumper cables to your positive and negative posts in your car FIRST , then hook to the car that is going to jump you. Then, remove the cables from the 2nd car before removing them from your vette. That way, there shouldn't be any sparks generated in your car that could ignite the hydrogen gases that can be vented from a charging battery.

You don't really have any option with the C3 except for clamping to both the + and - terminals. Just be careful to vent the battery compartment and to avoid any sparks.

Good luck! :D

Tonyk72,

Just do like Martin72 says, be sure to connect the cables to the dead battery first. By doing that there will be no sparking inside the vette (no juice, no spark).

When you connect the cables to the good car battery, connect the positive to the battery, and the negative to a good ground close by.

Let the vette charge up a few minutes and you should be good to go!

Steve :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom