Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How to remove inspection sticker?

CKA_Racing

Corvette
1996 CE LT4 Power Effects with stock resonator.
Hi all,
I just had my vette inspected and the tech put the sticker way too high up. I'd like to remove it without damage. Will a hair dryer have enough heat to melt the glue enough for the sticker to be removed? How do the glass shops do it without damaging the sticker?

Thanks

They use a stright edge razor with a handle on it...scrap it carefully...don't you need the inspection sticker on all the time?

Move to Oklahoma. :L

Do you not want to go back to the inspection station and make them move it?

My post should have read remove it without damage and move it lower on the windshield. It's pretty much a universal understanding the sticker is needed. :J :L

I believe most glass shops can remove and reglue 99% of the time. If the inspection station won't do it, ask a glass shop. I'd bet they would do it for nothing.

I meant that in Oklahoma the sticker can legally come off for good.:s

When I lived in Texas, I always reminded the inspection sticker guy/girl that it needed to be as low a possible to avoid creating problems with driver visibility. They almost always understood and took care to mount it low. I didn't take for granted that they would mount it low either though.

Now that I'm back in OK, I scraped all those inspection stickers and registration stickers off the windowshield. OK does not have an inspection requirement any more.

I agree with KOPBET on the glass shop recommendation. I've seen many windshields replaced and the glass people removed the stickers and put them on the new windshield 99% of the time.

cool, good info guys.
I did request that the sticker be installed low enough and slightly left of center due to not being able to see the right hand front corner. I autocross so it really does matter to me. This tech refuse to install it except right of center as stated by law. I said fine but that I had never had a problem with previous techs there. 1-inch off center is no big deal i figured. but I also did not expect him to break the rules just for me, but seems like the jackass purposely put it up way too high just to **** me off.

I've been using that station for years with no issues. Not anymore. One of the other mechanics was also making comments to his buddy about my request and laughing. No biggy , they just lost my business.

Tuna said:
I've seen many windshields replaced and the glass people removed the stickers and put them on the new windshield 99% of the time.
Yup , I'm trying to figure out what the trick is.

my suggestion would be to go to anohter inspection place and tell them what happened and have them replace the sticker so you can just peel it off with out worrying about damaging it

I know this is old but.... Pa inspt stations can repl stickers for a few bucks.

Many times have seen when the shield is replaced the shield installer cuts the glass from the corner of the windshield and then the inspt station puts on a new sticker. Current stickers have 04 on one end of the sticker and 05 on the other end. They have month stickers to paste over year not needed.

FWIW, I have not had an inspection sticker on the Aurora (nor a front plate for a few years) for about 6 months now. I hate the sticker and decided I'd had enough of it. I also don't affix my tax sticker. I have yet to have a problem. If you have the pink inspection sheet, that's really what matters. In addition to visibility, it can mess with the auto headlight sensor.

Be careful if you use a razor and the sticker overlaps any of that black edging on the glass. It will scrape off. I use a plastic "razor" and lots of Goo-Be-Gone to remove mine. Man I hate the VA inspection requirement...

Some of the glass places use a hand torch to heat the glass to remove the sticker. But don't forget they don't have to worry what happens to the old glass.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom