Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 I am about to buy a 96' LT4...need opinions

1996 LT4 Topic

Stinger !!

Corvette
'08 Will Cooksey #144 Z06
As of 1-18-06....
Please do not respond to this thread...dead issue!

You need to check the vin and see if it was part of the rocker arm recall, and if so, make sure it was performed.

1996 LT4: Campaign: Rocker Arm Attaching Pin Not Fully SeatedModel Year: 1996 Corvettes With LT4 Engine
Subject: INADEQUATE RETAINING LOAD HOLDING ROCKER ARM ROLLER PIN IN PLACE
Source: Chevrolet Product Campaign
Number: 96-C-07A

TO: ALL CHEVROLET DEALERS

General Motors has decided that CERTAIN 1996 Chevrolet Corvettes equipped with 5.7L engines (RPO LT4 - VIN Code "5") may have been built with rocker arms that have inadequate retaining load to hold roller attaching pins in the rollers. When there is inadequate retaining load, the pin may back out, with a resultant engine failure likely to occur.

To correct this condition, dealers are to replace the rocker arms.

NOTICE: Previously received rocker arms P/N 12551311 must not be used. The rocker arms previously received should have been returned to GMSPO (reference GMSPO Information Bulletin #96-128). Any vehicles previously repaired with P/N 12551311 rocker arms as a result of the canceled Campaign No. 96-C-07 must have new rocker arms installed.

VEHICLES INVOLVED

Involved are certain 1996 Chevrolet Corvettes equipped with 5.7L (RPO LT4) engines built within the following VIN breakpoints:

YEARMODELPLANTCODEFROMTHROUGH1996Y-CarBowling Green"5"T5100052T51111161996Y-CarBowling Green"5"T5600012T5600363

Love the color! ;)

A year ago I paid $20K for my one-owner SoCal LT4 roadster with 60K miles. I might have found one for less, but it wasn't worth waiting -- life is short, and summer in the Pacific Northwest is even shorter. The Green Monster is a blast to drive, especially in nice weather. I don't know if I could live with a coupe, especially in FL where a convertible gets year 'round exercise, but that's your call. :cool

Water pumps and Optisparks are common trouble points, but you've had an LT1, so you probably know to look for issues there. Any 9-yr-old car, even one with only 30K miles, can need rubber parts (e.g., hoses, belt, spark plug wires) inspected carefully.

You won't regret moving to the LT4. I still get a kick out of seeing those roller rockers when I'm putting in fresh oil, and it pulls like a train from 2K RPM right to redline.

Toby

I have had mine three years now and it has about 32,000 miles. I have had no significant problems and I am really happy with the car and engine. The engine power and performance is a pure treat and the ZF tranny is durable and smooth.

The 96 was the final evolution of the C4 and it had the most advanced computer and along with the 95 the bigger ZR-1 brakes. The C4 saw many improvements over the years and it appears the 96 really benefited by having the sum total of them in the end.

As long as what you are getting is a low mileage well looked after Corvette then a 96 LT4 is a fast, reliable, good looking ride that can burn up the tires or provide a comfortable local or long distance cruiser. And from what I am seeing in the Corvette mags lately, the LT4 engine is starting to bump up the value of the 96 Vettes they are in. And that maybe says it all.
Welcome to the CAC.
RG

toby said:
Love the color! ;)

A year ago I paid $20K for my one-owner SoCal LT4 roadster with 60K miles. I might have found one for less, but it wasn't worth waiting -- life is short, and summer in the Pacific Northwest is even shorter. The Green Monster is a blast to drive, especially in nice weather. I don't know if I could live with a coupe, especially in FL where a convertible gets year 'round exercise, but that's your call. :cool

Water pumps and Optisparks are common trouble points, but you've had an LT1, so you probably know to look for issues there. Any 9-yr-old car, even one with only 30K miles, can need rubber parts (e.g., hoses, belt, spark plug wires) inspected carefully.

You won't regret moving to the LT4. I still get a kick out of seeing those roller rockers when I'm putting in fresh oil, and it pulls like a train from 2K RPM right to redline.

Toby

OH YA...Florida is a great state to have a convertible...90-95 degrees 7-8 months out of the year with 90-100% humidity...rains almost every afternoon and you will "cook" in the 'sauna' like heat...I am convinced GOD invented air conditioning and electric windows, but I understand your comment "topless is cool"!! Thanks for the feedback, Stinger!!

volavet said:
You need to check the vin and see if it was part of the rocker arm recall, and if so, make sure it was performed.

1996 LT4: Campaign: Rocker Arm Attaching Pin Not Fully SeatedModel Year: 1996 Corvettes With LT4 Engine

General Motors has decided that CERTAIN 1996 Chevrolet Corvettes equipped with 5.7L engines (RPO LT4 - VIN Code "5") may have been built with rocker arms that have inadequate retaining load to hold roller attaching pins in the rollers. When there is inadequate retaining load, the pin may back out, with a resultant engine failure likely to occur.

NOTICE: Previously received rocker arms P/N 12551311 must not be used. The rocker arms previously received should have been returned to GMSPO (reference GMSPO Information Bulletin #96-128). Any vehicles previously repaired with P/N 12551311 rocker arms as a result of the canceled Campaign No. 96-C-07 must have new rocker arms installed.

VEHICLES INVOLVED

Involved are certain 1996 Chevrolet Corvettes equipped with 5.7L (RPO LT4) engines built within the following VIN breakpoints:

YEARMODELPLANTCODEFROMTHROUGH1996Y-CarBowling Green"5"T5100052T51111161996Y-CarBowling Green"5"T5600012T5600363

Definatley looking into this one!! Thanks, Stinger!!

Roadster Guy said:
I have had mine three years now and it has about 32,000 miles. I have had no significant problems and I am really happy with the car and engine. The engine power and performance is a pure treat and the ZF tranny is durable and smooth.

The 96 was the final evolution of the C4 and it had the most advanced computer and along with the 95 the bigger ZR-1 brakes. The C4 saw many improvements over the years and it appears the 96 really benefited by having the sum total of them in the end.

As long as what you are getting is a low mileage well looked after Corvette then a 96 LT4 is a fast, reliable, good looking ride that can burn up the tires or provide a comfortable local or long distance cruiser. And from what I am seeing in the Corvette mags lately, the LT4 engine is starting to bump up the value of the 96 Vettes they are in. And that maybe says it all.
Welcome to the CAC.
RG

Thanks for the Roses...your comments are well spoken (typed), This is why I am looking at this '96...has the best of all the C4 years, Stinger!!

You can't go wrong with a 96 AND the LT4 engine. What a piece of work. According to Gordon Killebrew, who I saw this past weekend, the 96 has the best improvements of all the C4's.

You will really enjoy the car. And the low mileage certainly is a PLUS!

Save The Wave! :w

I heartily agree with all the comments above. The 96 LT4 is the best of the C4 breed. I think the LT4 engine actually runs smoother than the LT1 ( I had a 95 LT1). My LT4 Vert just turned over 30,000 and it runs perfectly. No problems with anything. And, they make more power than advertized.

Buy it now!

JCS44
LT4 Vert, Blk/Blk

You will not be disapointed with a LT4 car If your looking for a little more HP long tube headers,a cat back exaust and a cam will put you up over 400HP. Allso try to work the seller a little and get him to come down a grand or so. The price is a little steep but sounds like a nice car. I paid a maby a grand more than I should have but the car was local and was exactly what I was looking for. I dident want to chase around the country dicking around or chasing deals so I grabed mine.

Stinger !! said:
OH YA...Florida is a great state to have a convertible...90-95 degrees 7-8 months out of the year with 90-100% humidity...rains almost every afternoon and you will "cook" in the 'sauna' like heat...I am convinced GOD invented air conditioning and electric windows, but I understand your comment "topless is cool"!! Thanks for the feedback, Stinger!!

Totally agree with this statement. My '95 vert gets little drive time during the summer months. We have a few good days in the spring and fall when the weather is excellent for top down driving. Otherwise it's too darn hot.

Stinger, we appear to be from the same area in FL. Good luck with your search. The LT4 is a fantastic engine.

Leon

Leon, I live in Merritt Island....maybe our paths will cross one day!! Stinger!!

Redvette6spd....

I like the idea of adding more hp....as far as getting this one any cheaper...not going to happen, got this guy down from $24000...he is convinced it is the nicest 96' available...typical Vette owner!!! $21000 plus tax is the best I can do, stand by though as I may be in touch with you soon about the mods you refered to!

Stinger!!

LT4's are some of the nicest C4's.

I bought my LT4 back in the spring of 2002 with 24K on the clock for $21.5K. It was optioned well. The $21K sounds a little bit steep, but if clean and optioned well it's probably worth it.

If you are going to use it as a driver and not a garage queen a good LT4 can be had at a lower price with a few more ticks on the clock.

How is it optioned? ;shrug

I know you will enjoy it - LT4's are Sweeet Rides !!! :upthumbs

BTW - Welcome to the :CAC

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

I agree with 6 shooter... the price is a bit high, but if don't plan on driving it much, it may be worth it.

If you are going to drive it though, you will get killed on the value.

volavet said:

VEHICLES INVOLVED

How can I find out if this has been done.?

To: VetteLT193....

You are absolutely correct with this statement...I know you can find this year with LT4 with high miles for much less $$...in the mid teens is common. But I will only drive it for maybe 5000 miles in any given year...You have to look at it this way also...buying a new or newer one will result in thousands and thousands of $$ loss, were with this year and kept in nice shape maybe only a few thousand over a couple of years...your point is well taken and I appreciate your response! Stinger!!

CAJUN C4 said:
How can I find out if this has been done.?

Call your favorite Chevrolet dealer service department. Give them the VIN and ask them if the rocker arm recall was needed and performed.

Save The Wave! :w

Welcome Stinger. I hope you enjoy your new LT4. One of my favorites.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom