Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I am looking for Someone near Great Falls Montana

CROOZ1N

Corvette
1993 Torch red coupe
I am emailing with a guy with a 97 Vette that I would like to have someone check out if anyone lives close. I'm thinking its a scam but am willing to email with the guy for a while to see.

Why do you think it's a scam??

Elaine

Low price, he says hes being shipped out to afganastan and wants to sell by Nov 3. It was listed in the Roanoke Va. area which is a long way from Great falls Montana. I'm just leary of things that seem to good to be.

Ok It was a scam!!

I found the exact same pix on ebay as were on Craigslist.
Ebay listing number 180425243491
and the add was on Roanoke Va craigs list.
http://roanoke.craigslist.org/ctd/1442347811.html

I called the e bay lister who is a dealer in Arizona and he said that someone uses his pictures a couple times a month and tries to pull the same type scam.
What pisses me off is the fact that the a-hole claimed to be a soldier.

This is the latest E-mail I got from the scammer;
The car has manual transmission . As I've told you at this moment I am in Great Falls, MT in a military base getting ready for Afghanistan. This mean that I do a special training program and I am not allowed to get out of the unit or give calls whenever I want. The shipping can't be a problem because I can do it at no cost for you.
eBay is the third party involved who will offer us both protection.Let me tell you how we will make this deal:
1.You will have to give me your full name and shipping address and I will open a case.
2.You will be contacted by eBay
3.You will send the money at eBay
4. I will start the shipping process
5.In 3-4 days the car and all the documents that you need to pass it on to your name will arrive to the address you provided to eBay
6.You will have 5 days to inspect and test drive the car
7.If there are any kind of problems with the car which I don't think will be the case, you will be fully refunded and I will take responsibility to pay around $200 to ship it to the closest eBay warehouse until I find another buyer.
The payment you make will be kept by eBay until you will receive and inspect the car.There is no risk in this deal.The transaction is simple so everything should go as planned.I have to tell you I will sell the car to the first one who starts this deal by sending the payment.
Have a good day and hope to hear from you soon.
Thanks!

Who knew that eBAy had warehouses?;LOL:rotfl:boogie

Crooz1n,
Apparently, this kind of scam is becoming more and more popular. I had a conversation not long ago with a detective in my local PD about just how common this is: he says his department gets at least one new fraud complaint along these lines a week.

Some things to definately look out for:
- If they will not provide you with a working phone number for you to call them and ask specific questions about the car, they are probably a scam.
- If they will not work with you to allow you or someone local to inspect the car before you finalize the purchase, they are probably a scam.
- If they want you to send your payment for the car by MoneyGram, rather than going there in person and paying cash, they are almost certainly a scam.
- If they insist they have already provided for shipping arrangements, it's probably a scam. (Usually, the buyer either arranges for shipping, or goes out to pick the car up himself.)

The worst part is they do play off sympathies people have for the troops by claiming to be in the military and needing to sell the car quickly because they're being deployed. I mean, who doesn't want to do something to help a member of the military?

-Patrick

I replied that I had friends and family in Great Falls and that i could have someone come and look at the car or he could take it by my uncles dealership.
He has since pulled his add from Craigs list and I haven't heard from him again. I was having fun once I realized it was a scam and got over my pissed off stage.:boogie

I replied that I had friends and family in Great Falls and that i could have someone come and look at the car or he could take it by my uncles dealership.
He has since pulled his add from Craigs list and I haven't heard from him again. I was having fun once I realized it was a scam and got over my pissed off stage.:boogie

That's too bad. I think it would have been great fun to keep the email chain going, letting him think he had a live one, and bring the police in to investigate where he actually is. One less scammer on the internet.

If you look at the top of Craigs List it says all ads claiming to ship cars are 100% fradulent. I also got caught up in this numerous times while looking for a truck.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom