Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I am not a watchmaker!

harland

Corvette
1961 fawn beige convertible
Hi, I confess to being technically challenged. I am staring at my 1961 Corvette clock wondering how to remove the unit from the large chrome plated housing. I want to have a watchmaker clean it, get it running well,etc. I want to chrome plate the ring that is slightly pitted. I see on the back of the clock housing three openings and it would appear that turning the unit to allign with these openings would free up the clock, but there are metal extensions that impede successful rotation. I am sure I SHOULD NOT grind down the smaller of them to permit rotation, but I am stumped on this one. Can a more patient person offer some advice on how to accomplish this professionally. thanks, Harland--PS I removed the three very tiny nuts on the clock back, but that doesn't seem to be connected that I can see with the overall unit removal. H

Harland,

I'm pretty sure you should be able to rotate the clock and then it just pulls out (I'm assuming you have all the wiring disconncted). I'll doulble check when I get home.

Do yourself a favor: Get Noland Adams book and/or an assembly manual; both are widely available and are money WELL spent.

Bernie O.

There is a spring washer under the clock, just press in on the clock and rotate it, and it will come right out. A watch or clock repair shop will have absolutely no idea how to repair one of these clocks! The problem, in almost cases, is the contacts that fire the solenoid that winds the mechanisim. Once these contacts fail one time, the clock will quit running. They are not to complex, but if you are not inclined to fix it, then colckworks can get it running fast, and inexpensively.
A normal colck repair shop or watch repair would be totally lost on this movement.

Regards, John McGraw

There is a spring washer under the clock, just press in on the clock and rotate it, and it will come right out. A watch or clock repair shop will have absolutely no idea how to repair one of these clocks! The problem, in almost cases, is the contacts that fire the solenoid that winds the mechanisim. Once these contacts fail one time, the clock will quit running. They are not to complex, but if you are not inclined to fix it, then colckworks can get it running fast, and inexpensively.
A normal colck repair shop or watch repair would be totally lost on this movement.

Regards, John McGraw

Isn't this the same clock used in the 1955-56 Chevrolet? I thought at one time Corvette and the full sized Chevy used the same clock, I know the 55/56 full sized Chevy clocks were removed the same way. Just wondering, used to own 55 & 56 Chevys back in the "day", but I've got nothing but mid-year Corvette experience.

:beer

PS
Rotate counterclockwise, as best as I remember!!

PPS
OK, answered my own question, or rather got it answered at "The Clockworks" website referenced above. The '55/'56 full sized Chevy clock is the same one used in the '58 thru '62 Corvette, according to that site. So, the '61 Corvette clock is the same as the '55/'56 full sized Chevy!
Thanks!!

it worked!

What a great forum and bunch of nice guys! followed instructions and 'voila!' I was able to separate the clock. I truly would not have figured this out-whatever brains I have isn't of mechanical logic, alas! I wonder if I would be wiser to buy a quartz movement unit if the cost is close to the repair process. Also, if the repro quartz ones have a chromed bezel, this would save a lot of work and about $25. or more to replate? any suggestions? thanks again folks! Harland

If the car is not going to ever be judged, then the quartz clock is a good alternative. The mechanical clocks are not the most reliable thing on earth, but a quartz clock will cost points at judging. Most of the conversions, are just that, they put a quartz conversion in your case. You still have to buy the bezel, and lense if yours is bad. The bezel is held on by crimps on the side of the case. You open up the crimps, and the bezel and lense will come off. You will need to remove the knob first though, and you just hold the stem with a pair of pliers, and the knob unscrews from the stem.

Regards, John McGraw

Isn't this the same clock used in the 1955-56 Chevrolet? I thought at one time Corvette and the full sized Chevy used the same clock, I know the 55/56 full sized Chevy clocks were removed the same way. Just wondering, used to own 55 & 56 Chevys back in the "day", but I've got nothing but mid-year Corvette experience.

:beer

PS
Rotate counterclockwise, as best as I remember!!

PPS
OK, answered my own question, or rather got it answered at "The Clockworks" website referenced above. The '55/'56 full sized Chevy clock is the same one used in the '58 thru '62 Corvette, according to that site. So, the '61 Corvette clock is the same as the '55/'56 full sized Chevy!
Thanks!!

While the clock is physically the same as the passenger car clock, there are some differences. The most noticable one is the fast/slow adjustment and indication on the clock face are reversed. Nobody has ever explained why they would build two different movements with different directions of adjustment! The passenger car clock will work fine, but a sharp-eyed judge will spot it in a heartbeat.

Regards, John McGraw

'clone clock'

The helpful tip that the 55-56 Chevy car had a nearly identical clock inspired me to do some internet searching. I am leaning towards purchasing a repro quartz 'clone' clock and use this. I will keep the original for a subsequent buyer -like haniging onto the old AM radio, which will be replaced in the car with a Custom Auto sound AM/FM. I recognize that there are folks out there who are absolute purists and I respect that. thanks against friends. Harland

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom