Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I can't leave my MARK!!!

T

txmca

I am a new and very happy corvette owner, I love the handling, and everything about my car, but i have to wonder, with this traction control, does that take away from me being able to spin my back tires at take off. I turn it off, the dash acknowledges that, but I still can' t get the tires to spin unless i turn my front wheels either left or right, I mean it takes off like a bullet, maybe my tires, tune up, or something else, I am ridding on Nitto Extremes ZR??? Any suggestions would be helpful

Is your car an A4 or an MN6? If A4, do you know what your rear gear ratio is? If your car is an auto and you have the std GU2 2.73:1 axle ratio, then lighting up the tires is probably gonna be a problem. If your car is an auto and you have the G92 performance axle ratio option (3.15:1), then they should turn some I would think. Mine will and I have the 3.15 gears. But I'm not familiar with the type of tires you're running. I have Firestone Firehawks on mine, and it will light them up pretty good. But at around $300.00 a pop, I try to hold that stuff to a minimum.

Try putting it into "Competitive Driving Mode" :r , that should let you produce a burn out. Post back if you don't know how to engage that feature.

thanks so much for the quick reply's you guys, I know I will be comming back alot to get tips and opinions!!!!:J :J

TXMCA,

I could be wrong but I believe the NITTO tires that you have on was made for drag racing. If that is the case, they are a little bit more sticky and stock once heated up.

Still not knowing weather your car is A4 or MN6, you can still light them bad boys up. :D

For an A4: Turn off traction control, left foot on brakes, right foot on gas. Slowly give it gas and increase brake pressure if car starts to move. Rear wheel should start to spin @ about 4K rpms (depending on conditions). Just be sure that there is nothing in front of your car. :s

For an MN6: Same procedure as above but engage the clutch, bring it up to 3K+ rpms, drop the clutch (side step) and pound on the gas at the same time. Watch for fish tail . :beer

All I have to do is sit a an idle and floor it , it will spin to second gear and than grab . If I brake torque it and load up the suspension it will spin alittle , this is the best way to launch and ease on the gas for best 0-60 .
Joe

After reading this thread

I decided to try. At $300-500 a tire I have tried to be as easy as possible on my goodyear F1 emts and I have the performance axle ratio (whatever that is) but from a stone cold start I can't get the tires to break loose. I put it in competitive driving mode but still no go. It does fly off the line but the only way I can leave a mark is to punch it going around a corner. I refuse to do a neutral drop and I hesitate to brake torque it. It should chirp a little off the line I would think. I replaced my breather with a donaldson blackwing and it helped a lot but still...
What do you guys think? Are there different performance axle ratios?
--Drew:w

In the summer, when my tires are hot and sticky, I get very little spin if any at all. In the winter, when the air entering the intake is cold and ditto for the tires, it'll spin like mad. Just my $.02.

Still no spin!!!

First I want to thanks all you guys for the info.......But as of last night, I have yet to light them up!! I tried the brake things and I got a little scracth, but nothing worth doing a third time. As I was frustated with the last test I done to get the wheels to spin, I had forgot that I left the Trac off. So i cut my wheels to the left and punched it, I did such a 360, it really scared the crap out of me. Anyway guys, I am taking it in to Corevette's of Houston, and I am going to get looked at funny when I write on the ticket, "I can't get my back wheels to leave a mark"

yea

funny look yea, but if itll get your tires to spin, like u want em to do it

Not that I'm planning on beating up my 'vette too much, but I do intend to enter some 200 metre spints soon and am interested in the quickest way off the mark. If I put my A4 in Competitive Driving mode and floor it, it still seems to bog down a bit (stumbles the revs) before picking up and then flying. Seems like that will lose precious time to me. I'm considering the 4,000 rev brake torque suggestion, but wonder what strains this might put on various parts of the drive train. What's likely to 'pop' under pressure just before releasing the brake, or is this beast built to take anything I throw at it like this?

Yeah, yeah, yeah .... I know .... should have bought a 6Sp!

But, lots of city driving and bloody big feet made lots of gear changes a pain. Also, my girl is tiny with small feet and not much good on the changes, so I could see lots of problems there (plus a few sore thigh muscles for her and a few ragged gear edges for the car!).

I drove a 2000 6Sp before I chose my 1999 A4 and liked it, but not enough to buy one. Guess I'm just an old fart who loves luxury!!

Anyway, still love my 'vette and want to rub it in the nose of some local 'rev-heads' who think just because their rods are loud that they go fast -- want to show them some 'sophisticated' fast times!

Any A4 suggestions to rip some goods times would be welcome!

Tried that already and it didn't seem to help, though I have to admit that I didn't rev to 4K with the brake on before I dropped it.

Will probably give that a go shortly and see what happens.

Thanks

Ozphoenix

ozphoenix said:
Yeah, yeah, yeah .... I know .... should have bought a 6Sp!

Anyway, still love my 'vette and want to rub it in the nose of some local 'rev-heads' who think just because their rods are loud that they go fast -- want to show them some 'sophisticated' fast times!

Any A4 suggestions to rip some goods times would be welcome!

Just curious, what kind of local 'rev-heads' do you have to go against down in your area?

Just brake torque and light up the rears to make sure they are properly warmed up prior to launch. Once warmed up, brake torque to about 2500-2800 rpm, lights turns green, brake out and gas down all at the same time. Depending on how much tread you have left, how hard you launch may need adjusting to.

Good luck,
:beer

THe 'locals' I'm referring to are from a small country town out west, so they're mostly only hotted up street cars, but some are okay.

Several are V8 motors in things not much larger than a Ford Pinto, but there is one Valiant (Dodge) Charger that ran a 10.7 sec 0-200 metre last week, then a custom built V8 'rail body' (open cockpit, all motor/gearbox/radiator, no weight, big slicks on back) did a 0-200 metre run in about 8.4 sec onthe same day.

These are mostly country kids with not much money and a lot of time. However, driving my 'vette into town (this is my original home town) regularly now to see a new girlfriend has brought a few challenges ('fancy car, but can it go?', etc) so I'm now actually interested to see how it DOES run, at least against the lights.

For what it's worth, about an hour ago I had a long talk with a local (Oz) Corvette racer (one of the two owners of the shop I bought mine from). He's done a lot of experimenting to get his own car moving quickly. His opinion about adding power? Focus on 'air in and air out' -- put on a K&N or Blackwing (though, after an initial 12-15 HP dyno improvement from adding a K&N, his experience is that the car 're-learns' and will eventually re-tune back to about 5 HP gain). Then, get a serious set of headers and exhaust bits. If you want to, try the Hypertech programmer, but he has little faith in it, having seen little improvement. SO, it basically gets down to -- make it breath better and it'll run faster -- sounds logical to me.

Also, he's not happy that mine seems to 'bog down' even if Igo to Competitive Mode. Looks like we'll have to do some investigative work when I'm in their shop next.

More feedback would still be welcome, from all concerned.

try this,

for an automatic when launching the car from a dead stop pump the brake once and hold it for all your worth and then very quickly flat foot the gas and let off the brake. swap feet! what this does is flash the converter sorta like a clutch letting loose at 2000 rpm.

if you hold the brake and gas it at the same time to 4000 rpm and let off the brake your tires will be boiling with a BIG flume of smoke roaring off the back tires. but for good power launches flash the converter!

my 87 bone stock will blow the tires off thru first gear in my auto coupe yours should have no problemo ;)

Seems all logical to me.

Next chance I get when I know that there are no innocent bystanders standing in the way and no 'bears' hidden in sidestreets with or without kodaks, I'll give it a try. I have a brand new set of tires on, so don't want to wear them too thin, but for this project, willing to try anything. Also, my 'vette shop owner has offered me a set of his racing tires he has spare, still in pretty good condition, for a good price, so I can run them whenever competing -- just need to decide to spend the money.

Will keep the Forum posted on progress.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom