Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I Failed!!!!!

B

billagroom

I put the old 79 through the Smog Nazi test. Yes Vancouver area B.C. Canada has a very strict test. They are a little easyer on older cars like mine. when I bought my Vette it was running like crap missing, sputtering and it looked like a lightning storm under the hood. But some how it had passed and it was good for a year. I rebuilt the old mecanical distributer, new cap+rotor,new coil, new wires+plugs(Could not Believe where the plugs were or the wires for that matter one went through the motor mount!!!) Rebult the carb and I think this is were the problem happened. The car purrs like a kitten and well I'm going to need new tires soon. I was positive it would pass no problem HA were dealing with NAZI'S here. Driving test: Hydrocarbons: 66.00 PPM Pass. Carbon Monoxide:0.17% Pass. Oxides of Nitrogen: 960.00 Pass. Idle Test: H.C.: 453 PPM Fail. Max alowable 345 PPM. C.O.:0.46% Pass. The book Haynes said to set the idle jets at 4 turns obviously to much. I turned them both in 2 turnes before it affected the idle so I figure I'm good to go. What do you folks think. At 24$ per test I want to pass the next one.

Ken

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
1987 Z51 Silver Coupe
billagroom said:
At 24$ per test I want to pass the next one.

Good luck with your smog trials and tribulations. As for the cost; mine gave me trouble this year at $50 a pop. Twice!! :(

G

GreyGhost

Emmissions

Billagroom:

I think you're right, what you want to do is lean out the idle. Most SMOG motors today don't have those adjustments on carburators. You might want to advance the timing a little bit for the test. Also, there are some fuel additive products on the shelves especially made for passing emissions tests.

Is that cheating?

H

Her 92

Boy am I glad that I live 4 counties over from Houston!!! :) Thank goodness we don't have emissions testing where I am yet. Actually 2 counties over they do. Hopefully we won't have to have them for a long time to come. Good luck on the next test, billagroom. :w

77vette

I bought my '77 vette in Feb. and needed emissions test here in Northern Virginia to get new tags and registration...It didn't pass the first time, so I put a can of this "guaranteed emissions test stuff" in a full tank of gas and drove it hard for a week and tryed again....still didn't pass.....bottom line.....I had to have the old Rochester Q-jet rebuilt by Holley to the tune of $450 and finally got it passed....I must say though, what a difference in performance....jusy my 2 cents($450) worth...Keith

mytoy

Corvette
1978 L82 BLACK
When I retired I moved back to Ohio from TN. we didn;t have testing in Tn. but do in Ohio. I applied for a collectors tag which all vettes are consider collectors and got it , it didn;t cost any more and exempt you from testing.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Win Both Corvettes!

Win Both Corvettes and Get Extra Bonus Tickets Now!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Dead Center Foundation

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Partners

Top Bottom