Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I got 30 MPG from an LT1 ??? and you?

Ruby Fan

Corvette
1985 Black Beauty Coupe, 93 Ruby, 96 CE vert
This past weekend I drove a local area highway, (Garden State Parkway), averaging 75, some of it on cruise control, and I wound up with a gas mileage of 30 miles to the gallon. There was no traffic, and it was basically a straight run, except for the occasional toll!. The tank had a combo of a year old Texaco, and I just put in Shell with 'V' Power. (auto trans) Any of you had high mileage results? Actually I am super shocked!!

You have an LT-1 in your '85?:confused

No, this is about my '93 Ruby, hence Ruby Fan. I also own an '85, which I drive more often. That's why half the gas was over a year old. Sorry for the mis.

I was stunned to get 25 mpg out of my '95.
I flogged it for 75 miles through the mountains
here in Idaho. My Jeep gets 15 mpg with the
4.0 six banger. Just doesn't seem right.

Verticonweb.jpg

And what MPG did you get going back uphill??? :rotfl

j/k! I've always topped out at about 25.

:w

I get between 27-31 all the time.But if I go out and play hard it drops to around 23 mph. Tim

Thats great new's.My best is right at 27mpg as of this past weekend.Crisp cool November air might be a help.Smooth interstate asphalt and minimal traffic left me struggling to keep her around 75mph.Plan to enjoy these cool runs till the salt hits the road--then I am done till spring.I do love my Corvette!

You have to remember that big V-8 is just above idle as it propells you down the highway at 75. A six shooter will need four or five hundred or more RPM to maintain the same speed. Also keep in mind the Vette is slipping through the air a lot cleaner than most cars. I get in the high 20's out on the highway at constant speed. Just for fun make the same run with the headlights on and the extra wind resistance will drop the MPG by a couple.

A little off topic perhaps, but could anyone tell me about what I should be getting out of an '85 L98 with the 4+3? I normally average about 21 on the highway and not too much less in town.

Thanks,

Joe

31 mpg on a L98

On the way to carlisle I got 31 mpg on my l98.
A mixture of around town and highway I average
26 mpg. Do others get this milage. It is almost
to good to be true.
The car is an automatic and I believe it has
2.73 gears.

Yes! It is too good to be true.
I have manually calculated my mileage and how much fuel was used and compared that result to the average reported on my instrument cluster and found a significant difference.
Tom.

On my last road trip I averaged 28 mpg for the tank. During this trip I cruised at a legal speed of 75 mph out of Phoenix, to a slightly above the law climb up one long large hill at over 100 mph, just because the car could. I also detoured thru Sedona and took a trip thru Oak Creek canyon up to Flagstaff. This trip took me from an elevation of 1200' to over 7000' and back again to home at 1200'. Simply amazing that a car with this much performance does so well on gas.

Danbo
I see that you live in Kuna. I am in Boise, myself.

I was stunned to get 25 mpg out of my '95.
I flogged it for 75 miles through the mountains
here in Idaho. My Jeep gets 15 mpg with the
4.0 six banger. Just doesn't seem right.

Verticonweb.jpg

Yes! It is too good to be true.
I have manually calculated my mileage and how much fuel was used and compared that result to the average reported on my instrument cluster and found a significant difference.
Tom.

I'm with you. If you validate the numbers with the manual method, you will find that the calculated numbers are a bit optimistic.

I'm with you. If you validate the numbers with the manual method, you will find that the calculated numbers are a bit optimistic.
I have manually calculated my 86, 4+3 (Iron heads) L98 mileage to be 18 mpg. This is a mixture of around town and highway, and not beating on it.
Tom

23 MPG

Last year on a 2300 mile trip to Phoenix and back I averaged 23MPG confirmed by manual calculation. I just returned yesterday from a trip to Rapid City, S.D., the Black Hills and the Badlands. 1065 miles. 23 MPG. This included speeds in excess the 80s most of the way as well as some ups and downs and arounds in the Black Hills. Haven't done the manual calc yet but it matched exactly for the Phoenix trip. At 48, I had grown tired of these road trips. I love them again in the Vette. :upthumbs The only problem is that I received a speeding ticket on both trips. With all due respect to the LEOs on the forum - come on ! Enforcing 65 MPH on wide open highway with almost no one else around? Give me a break! :mad

Last year on a 2300 mile trip to Phoenix and back I averaged 23MPG confirmed by manual calculation. I just returned yesterday from a trip to Rapid City, S.D., the Black Hills and the Badlands. 1065 miles. 23 MPG. This included speeds in excess the 80s most of the way as well as some ups and downs and arounds in the Black Hills. Haven't done the manual calc yet but it matched exactly for the Phoenix trip. At 48, I had grown tired of these road trips. I love them again in the Vette. :upthumbs The only problem is that I received a speeding ticket on both trips. With all due respect to the LEOs on the forum - come on ! Enforcing 65 MPH on wide open highway with almost no one else around? Give me a break! :mad
no matter what the mileage, I love driving my car, even if I can't hear on my
cell - as for speed limitations, try living on Long Island (NY) where we have a
55mph max speed limit!
Tom

I have an LT4 engine. I drive to and from Virginia Tech football home games. It is about a 250 mile trip to Blacksburg, 500 miles round trip. For the round trip, I will get between 24 and 28 MPG. The mileage really depends on how much time I spend in 5th or 6th gear. Of course, around town I am tickled pink if I see 12.5 MPG. :)

Nick

in my 94 I get about 23-24 with allot of mountain driving. I can't keep my foot out of the 85 and get about 20. my Daily driver the old 89 bronco gets 11.5 but I did run over a camero with it..............

I get high 20's and even 30 oftentimes.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom