Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I had a seat idea to fix wear and it worked!

sriat

Corvette
1984 Bright Red Coupe
on my 84 the factory seats (Only 45k Miles) were getting worn on the edge where U get in (Like every C4 that I have seen) Drivers side was worn but not to the point of through the material. Then I was reading in this forum how to get the cushions and all released from frame. This is when I had a thought. Why not switch passenger side and drivers side cushions? It works perfectly. Effectively doubling the life of the seats material

This may be an old idea that everyone knew but me. But hey I figure instead of using info from here I would donate.

Sounds like a great idea! Would that work in all of the C4's? Is it much trouble to unbolt the seats?

worked on my 86...but since my drivers side only is power, after getting the seats out and upside down the tracks had to be switched.

pretty much just (4) 13mm nuts and a couple wire connectors on each seat...the nuts are a ''self locking'' design (gm lost a big lawsuit a few years back to some guy whose seat got loose and he drove it until an accident happened) so the nuts are pita to get off the first time--use a 6-point socket and stay straight on--no problem....car top down or off before you try to lift seat from car makes it easier.

since all i had was a tiny wear spot that nobody but me noticed, i didn't want to buy new covers...got a vinyl/leather repair kit from napa for about $10...mixed a small dab of stuff from kit, layed it on wear spot, didn't quite match color(red) so i wiped it off with a paper towel and tried again-perfect...used wifs hairdryer to heat/cure repair...only way i can find repair now is no perforations in that spot

I am not sure about the years this will work on, maybe others will help us out. However what I did required no bolts. I simply removed the cushion from the seat bed. There are 4 clips on the back you push from the outside in then this releases the cushion for the back. Then for the bottom you look on the bottom front and there is a clip that you use a screwdriver (May not be required) push down and forward and this releases the bottom. So then all I did was swap the cushions (Which are covered) then that moves the problem area to the passenger inside.

So again. No bolts. Just move the cushions.

My drivers seat is power and passanger is manual. Works great. (FYI these seats are not the "Sports" seats. I would bet this would not work.

Works on an 89

I did this small project on mine as well. It is described in the book, "101 Projects for your C4". I removed the seats entirely. Gave me the opportunity to really clean the carpet underneath "while I was there". Swapped the cushions and covers to move the worn out spot on driver seat to the inside or console side of the passenger seat. I also noticed that the old passenger seat , now the driver seat, is a lot firmer. I think the Sport seats simply provide an adjustable lumbar support.:confused You should still be able swap cushions and covers. Chime in sport seat owners!

mine has the sport seats...changing just the lowers would not require unbolting and switching the whole seat...of course i had the misfortune to have the ''little spot'' on the upper cushion bolster and those are harder to do than the standard seat upper--its easier to pull the whole seat

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom