Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I have a exhaust issue need help (1981)

Corvette
1981 Corvette Spectramaster Blue
alright I have a 81 corvette...and I have long tube headers...since no one really make a kit that is a true dual exhaust system...what do I do where do I turn? I went to the local exhaust shops and they will not install a system without putting cats on and where I am from you do not need them but whatever...as you alot of you may know I have been doing tons of work to the car and for this to stop me would be a really bad thing...anyway thanks for the help...

John Dykstra

MID AMERICA, makes a true dual set for an 81, I just bout it for mine. See below

I belive you still need to do some custome fitting to blot up to a full length set of headers. I was able to find a local speed shop to do my set up. Most muffler shops wont touch these jobs, but as k some of the local shops in your area your bound to find one as long as you commit to saying you did all the work yourself if you get stopped.

http://www.madvet.com/shop?frame=4.36.1303 PN 603860 or 603862

have you put yours on as of yet?...I can put it on that is not the biggy i have access to lifts and such I just need to know if it fits decent?...then I will order that one...thanks alot...

John Dykstra

John, you probably could do the install yourself. if you buy the tru dual kit,working back from the mufflers to the headers,i think you should be able to hook the pipes up.
to do my sidepipes to headers i couldn't get any local shops to bend the pipes the way i needed. so i bought u-pipes and 90deg pipes from whitney.i did some fitting,cutting and learned how to mig weld. the welds are pretty,but who cares i can't see them from the driver's seat.

we have the technology!!

Robin

Mine wont be on for a good 3-4 weeks still. Im in Upstate NY and it hasent even stopped snowing yet ..eerrr

cmegga ? let me know if they fit on good , i got the same one put it on myself, it looks like s--t, pipes are not true, they leak, at the joints, tightened the clamps until i broke one, to try to get it to seal, iam going to take it to a muffler shop as soon as i get time, he will have to try to bend them to fit right, there pretty close just need trued up to look how the old ones did, so let me know how they fit and if they have to do anything to them , thanks
can email me when you get it done @ sblank@fuse.net

I have fitted the MAD system to my '81 and I can't recommend it high enough. Improves performance and sound. I fitted it myself and it was no problem to do, found it very easy indeed. You will have no problem.

I put that exhaust on my 76 and I love it. I wouldnt have a vette without it. I had a muffler place do mine.. I just ran it one morning over to them without anything but the manifolds on it (carefully) and they can install it without cats.. they just cant remove them. Its really a great system. My pipes werent bent 100 percent correctly so i just had the place do custom bent piping but i used the chambered part.. and they welded on some nice chrome tips. total at the shop was 140 so it wasnt bad.. 300 for the exhaust. Better than the dynomax mufflers that the car came with when i bought it.. the guy said he paid 800 for them and they were suppose to be great but they werent loud enough for me.

:upthumbs

johnd said:
.... I went to the local exhaust shops and they will not install a system without putting cats on and where I am from you do not need them but whatever...

John Dykstra
John,

A local muffler shop owner told me that they have to abide by State and Federal regulations. The original smog equipment, from a shop owner's point of view, can not be modified, eliminated, nor incomplete, or they could face stiff penalties. Apparently, the federal law obligates the car manufacturers to equip their products with equipment meeting the regulations, and the state are left with the enforcement/verification of the standards IAW the state laws.

Maybe a Legal Eagle could shime in and clarify the issue (if that is possible...:L

This local shop seems to have no trouble doing whatever you need. Check the link and look at their pics. There are a few good C3 pics of true duals. One of an auto trans and another of a four speed.

www.louscustomexhaust.com

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom