Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I love my EMTs

M

MacShee98

Last week, my wife and I drove the 2002 from NYC to Michigan. While we were there, the DIC reported a low pressure condition in the right rear sneaker. Rearing it's ugly head was a gigantic nail that had punctured the EMT in the large rain groove.

The DIC said the pressure was 24psi, the low pressure trigger point for the "chime". As I drove it to gas station to put more air in it, I watched the pressure increase as the tires warmed up. Good sign, I thought. It's holding air. I pumped 'er up to 35psi (warm) and watched in amazement as the pressure held for the next two days.

So...I drove it back to NYC, over 650 miles, with the nail still in it, without losing any pressure!! Bravo Goodyear! I love my runflats. I never would have considered the 650 mile trip if I didn't have those 200mile/55mph backup miles the EMTs provide.

I know the EMTs are noisey, don't handle as well as the non-runflats, and give you the luxury-ride equivalent of running on over-inflated basketballs, but you gotta love what they are and what they do for you when disaster strikes your tire.

Glad to hear your success story, but you sure muddy the water. I had just read the thread below yours about the non-run flat tires and was considering going that route the next time I had to replace my tires (bought four last month and I'm still sticker shocked). At less than half the cost of non-run flat tires, the regular tires sure are attractive (not to mention quieter).

But with no backup, do you want to roll that dice (I'm still going back and forth)?

I got a flat like 3 weeks ago, found 4 nails in my left rear tire..thank god i had run flats. But it was tire to get new tires, Goodyears are nice, but I am loving my Nitto Extremes tires, grips the road better, better in the rain, too bad their not runflats.

When its time for tires I'm going non EMT with an portable air compressor and tire plug kit,If the warning sounds for a flat, the tire can be aired up and pluged on site.

My right rear has been losing pressure (slowly) for the last six months; discovered 2 nails in it last month while cleaning her up. What the heck.....I'll just keep pumping a couple pounds of air into her every week until I get around to fixing it. Needless to say, I have run-flats......noise? What noise? I can't hear them over my exhaust or stereo....

All good points but three months ago I ran over a hunk of a discarded metal hub cap that blew my right rear tire and left a tear/rip /hole about 2'' long and 3/4'' wide .I had to pull it/pry it out with a pair of vice grips and a hammer.Drove on that tire for one week (back and forth to work) before my new ones arrived via UPS.Turn up the stereo -i wouldn't be without my EMT's

I have EMT's and I have no problems with them. I really don't hear them either.

EMT love affair

Oh I can hear 'em allright, but to me they are worth it. I almost didn't buy a C5 due to the lack of a spare, but now I'm glad I did and if the price you have to pay is a little hum at high speed (that is when I really notice the hum) then so be it. Isn't that what the speed controlled volume is for on the stereo?

Glad to hear the EMTs perform well. Would not want my better half to be stuck on the freeway waiting for help. Have not heard any real tire noise myself.

Those are some great sucess stories for a change. So many people say they hate the EMTs because of the noise... poor handling... harse ride... etc. Some say they will replace them with an air pump and goop or plug kit. That's OK for fair weather, but how about those nasty nights when you're on the way to a nice dinner or theater, all dressed up and a low or flat tire rears it's ugly head. THAT's when the EMTs will shine. I of course don't have EMTs on the ZO6, so if I have one of those low or flat tires I'll have to brave the weather, and probably won't have as nice an evening as the guy with the EMTs.
vettepilot

Hi you all, I have a 1998 coupe that I recently bought it has the EMTs , I only have 18000 miles on the car , and it seems like I have to replace them in the near future . does anyone know what the expected mileage is on EMTs ? what about the run-flat Firestone makes ??? thanks John

Gentlemen,

I have a question here. If you had a situation like MacShee98, is the repair covered under warranty?

Do they totally replace the tire or just repair it?

My 2002 Coupe is still very much under warranty, however, just about the only thing that is not covered is a road hazzard - a nail thru the tire. Goodyear's new tire warranty covers defects in manufacturing, etc., but again won't cover a road hazzard/ nail.

It cost me approx $90 to get the nail puncture fixed, way cheaper than a new tire. They (chevy dealer) put in a plug and a "hot patch". They said that's the only way to go for EMT repair and still retain the "Z" speed rating. Price included rebalancing the wheel/tire.

Personally, I wouldn't switch from Goodyear. Not after my good experiences and after talking to the Corvette guys (the engineers) out at Indy back in April when they rolled out the 50th and the Pace Car. Goodyear designed the EMTs for the Corvette exclusively, no other car.

The only thing I would change possibly in the future - if I didn't mind having to stop to fix a flat -would be a switch to the Z06 tires on stock, yes stock, rims. That's was the setup on the C5 Pace Car at Indy this year. That's an impressive upgrade - smooth and very, very grippy. After two laps at 140mph, I became an instant believer.

On my warrantee

they will pay for $100 toward replacement and $20 toward repair of any road hazard, but they state "patch" it.

While I was on vacation , in the middle of nowhere , in an area where my cell phone wouldn't work , I thought to myself about the guys saying they were going to replace their tires with something else . What would you do ? The nearest place to buy tires that size is where ?

Drewser,

I will be taking a very short vacation in Middle Of Friggin' No Where on Tuesday to see my buddy, who is a cop in Lake County. I just hope that I don't have to go through Gary on the way back like I did last time.:(

Where?

DkBG said:
While I was on vacation , in the middle of nowhere , in an area where my cell phone wouldn't work , I thought to myself about the guys saying they were going to replace their tires with something else . What would you do ? The nearest place to buy tires that size is where ?
Where??? When in the middle of friggin nowhere, the standard answer is, "Weeeeellllllll, we're a gonna have to um...order one in. It might jusss take a few daayyyyss, maybe a week or so, if Goober doesn't go a feeshin afore he gets a chance ta order ya one. We don't get much call for dem new-fangled tarres, can't ya just use one off a dis ole buick?"

Run flats for me, 'specially round here. (Good seein ya post again Cliff, as you see I've come around to the dark side. That means another run to Boring Green, only with the 99 this time :D)
--Drew:w

3 months at least...

I found a really worn down nail in my front driver side EMT in February...who knows how long it had been there...never lost tire pressure once!

In May, I replaced all 4 EMT tires that were pretty worn with new EMT's...I'll never be without them again. I'll put them on my daughter's car when they need replacing too!

Love it, love it, love it!

Glad they work for you too

How many miles did you get out of the tires? Agressive driving or easy?
Thanks, Drew:w

Mileage

My car had 26K miles. I'm the 2nd owner and don't know if they were OEM (is that original?) or not. They were used when I bought the car at about 19K miles. I got about 7K out of them myself, but don't know how long the life expectancy is...I am an aggressive driver (are there any passive Corvette drivers? LOL!)and have driven from Dallas to San Diego (when I bought the car in Dec '01), Vegas twice and numerous joy rides around So. Cal. I LOVE to drive...and she's my daily driver.

Hope that helps!