Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I need tips on Side pipe install

The13Bats

I have a set of hooker side pipe headers on the way I wanted to get some tips and hints for a smooth install,
Stuff like what I need to remove, do they snake in from the top or bottom? :bang
I have a small block 81 that already has under car headers so I have the special brackets.
Thanks,
H.

H,

I'd say the best way to get them on is to get the car on one of those drive on lifts, one guy on top reaching through the engine bay the other guy loads them from under the car. If you can't do that then at least get the car up as high as you can with jack stands and load them from under the car. It's not that hard but you do have to pay attention. The rocker panels will have to come off to mount the side tubes unless you bend the tabs flat and mount them under the frame...not recommended if you already had them ceramic coated as the coating will chip off the tabs.

If you have AC I believe the pump and bracket have to be pulled out of the way, can't remember if the ALT has to as well. You should be able to leave the starter in. Luckily I put mine in the same time as the new motor so I just dropped them in before the motor and tied them out of the way with wire.

When you want to get rid of the restrictive Hooker mufflers let me know, I'm a distributor of STS baffles for the 4" hookers. If you need more help just click the link to my site or email me. You're going to love the sidepipes!

Side pipes

Find a issue of Vette Mag for Jan, There is a real good article in there
with pictures and everything you need to do the job.. Lots of luck.

Question please,Where did you order your exhaust from and how was the price?I have been looking also to add headers and side pipes myself,
Thanks Wayne:w

side pipes

Did this last year, made the car look real COOL!!!

I'd say the best way to get them on is to get the car on one of those drive on lifts,

If you use a drive on lift there is NOT enough room to angle the headers in. Best way is to use a lift that lifts from center of car. Have person waiting at top to grab them and bolt them on while one angles them in from side.

I got mine from Ecklers and paid around 1,200.

I still want to get different baffles: http://www.spiralturbobaffles.com/[/URL]

Heard from others these are the BOMB!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom