Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I need to ask this before my "Hot Cam" installation

D

Da Hawaiian Punch

[font=Verdana, Arial]I'm installing a hot cam 525 lift in a couple of weeks into my '91 L-98, I have the free mods like everybody else along with the 1.6 roller rockers, ported intake samese runners and ported plenum like you have have already, march underdrive pulleys, straight pipes out back (no mufflers or cat's), MSD 6-A ignition box, cold air induction with K&N air filter and I have 3.07 gearing.

This is the info on the cam I'm installing:

This hydraulic roller cam "LT-1 Hot cam"

The duration at lash point in degrees (intake/exhaust) is 279/287; duration at .050" tappet lift (intake/exhaust) is 218/228; and maximum lift with with 1.6 rocker ratio (intake/exhaust) is 525/525. Valve lash is zero/zero and lobe centerline is 112 degrees.

My question is will i be able to drive decently without any extra things done to my chip (that was burnt by T.P.I.S. for the mods that I mentioned that I did) untill I can get a hold on a scanner to scan then have somebody burn one for me?

in other words, will I be fine driving untill I can get a chip burned for the cam shaft mod?
Much Mahalo's to all you folks for taking time to read and answering me this question gang!!

Aloha Nui loa (Thank you very much)

Kalani.
[/font]

It depends on how much difference there is between your current cam and the Hot Cam.

After installing the Hot Cam in my LT1 (along with LT4 head and intake), it didn't want to idle properly with the HyperTech ThermoMaster chip. That chip, and the stop chip, were set to let it idle too low. The Hot Cam likes a 900-1000 RPM idle (on the LT1/4 at least). Installing the chip Ed Wright sent me, cured that and moved the power range up the RPM scale.

I'm thinking that you will need a new chip to take full advantage of the Hot Cam.

Tuna said:
It depends on how much difference there is between your current cam and the Hot Cam.

After installing the Hot Cam in my LT1 (along with LT4 head and intake), it didn't want to idle properly with the HyperTech ThermoMaster chip. That chip, and the stop chip, were set to let it idle too low. The Hot Cam likes a 900-1000 RPM idle (on the LT1/4 at least). Installing the chip Ed Wright sent me, cured that and moved the power range up the RPM scale.

I'm thinking that you will need a new chip to take full advantage of the Hot Cam.
Yes I do know that I wll need to have a chip burnt for the cam install, what I was really asking though was if I'll be alright till I can get my hands on a scanner, scan and send info to whom ever I choose to have burn a new chip for me?

I have a chip burnt with the idle stepped up already that I will install when I switch out the cam just because of what your self said about the idle problem. Thanks though for your reply guy!

you mean, will the car run - sure... But how well is T.B.D. :eek

If your car was a mass air car, then I would say absolutely fine however, Speed Density (1990 & 1991 L98's) are not as "forgiving" to modifcations such as a bigger cam.

*89x2* said:
you mean, will the car run - sure... But how well is T.B.D. :eek

If your car was a mass air car, then I would say absolutely fine however, Speed Density (1990 & 1991 L98's) are not as "forgiving" to modifcations such as a bigger cam.
Yea your right about the unforgiven part, I'm having a tuff time trying to locate anybody with a scanner so I can hook it up to my Comp and read out the info while I'm driveing.

I'm thinking it will run very rich untill I get it worked out with the chip burn, I dont think it'll be as bad as if I still had the stock chip in there though, but still, bad is bad, thanks for the responce.

i don't know but this is how i look at it. if your gonna do it go bigger ;) hate to put a baby cam then get it all together and wish you went bigger :( thats a mild cam and should be ok with a rough idle until you get it burnt but i think with any cam upto 230 duration and upto .580" lift a stock chip or another modded chip for currents mods *will* work. will it work to the point you can drive it to the grocery store and back? sure! would i count on it to take me to work? probably not. if the idle is too low it will stall and be a pain with an auto to keep it running.

i don't know SD but with MAF you can adjust the tps for the idle to hold where you want. it may be the same. i remember helping rich set his idle on his 86 a few weeks ago.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom