Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I need to make a screen grille to keep paper and junk out of the air intake area

jcdouglass

Corvette
callaway grand sport 2010
i had to replace my radiator yesterday. $217 parts and $200 labor.
mech said cannot clean them. It was jammed with stuff, like, 90%.
107k mi worth. It got hot and split the pastic caseing.

So. I hope some of you's have seen or done or bought an intake deflector or catch net to mount in that air intake hole.

I saw in here stuff like going to ACE and getting gutter gaurd and bolting it in there. I don't even think I could do that.

your response is appreciated

When I had my c4, I replaced the radiator because it was so packed with little rocks I couldn't remove them. I had a roll of plastic/vinyl like gutter mesh that would just fit over the opening. I used self-tapping screws with large washers and attached it over the opening. Now I have a c5 and the opening is larger so I'm gonna have to find something bigger and do the same thing.

pretty crude
hardware store item i hope.
I sure apprec. you taking the time to show me this.

I have used just plain old window screen material in right in front of my radiators for years with no problems. Either purchase the black screen material or purchase a can of black spray paint to paint the aluminum screen and it it virtually invisible.

I just recently place window screen material in front of my C6. I removed the plastic trim piece on top the radiator and laid the screen on top the radiator, rolled/pulled it down in front of the radiator, replaced the trim piece, and tucked the left, right and bottom edges behind the plastic that surronds the radiator. Job done, took all of 30 minuts to complete and may be cost $1.00 in materials. Oh, make sure to measure the opening andpurchase a few extra inches of material to enusre that you have enough.

On other vehicles I have poked small holes along the edges of the screen and have used wire/zip ties to hold the screen in place. Wrpped the ties around openings in the trim surrounding the radiator. Others it fit tight enough behind the trim that I didn't ued anything to hold in place.

On my C6 the trim a top the radiator and the trim surrounding the radiator are all that hold it in place.

Just put your car on some ramps or a hoist get down in front of the radiator opeing and take a look. I am sure there is a way to make this work on your C4.

Good Luck.....

Keep me posted

I used gutter gaurd, diamond shaped holes that came with window screen glued on.
The vertical was just right and the horiz. was trimmed. Just pushed the thing up into the gap there and the top slid behind the bumper. I put velcro on the botom, thick part of gaurd, and velcro on the rubber air scoop thing that hangs down in front.
I took photo's but I can't figure how to get a 650mb down to the 150 limit.
Thx all
Case closed

I'd make one before I ever spent 60-100 bucks :beer

i had to replace my radiator yesterday. $217 parts and $200 labor.
mech said cannot clean them. It was jammed with stuff, like, 90%.
107k mi worth. It got hot and split the pastic caseing.

So. I hope some of you's have seen or done or bought an intake deflector or catch net to mount in that air intake hole.

I saw in here stuff like going to ACE and getting gutter gaurd and bolting it in there. I don't even think I could do that.

your response is appreciated

------------------------------------------

i had a trash screen installed on my '93 and my '99 by my local shop -HP Performance Corvettes. they can custom manufacture it if necessary to match your vehicle if you have diffrent front accessories,etc. the screen has stopped a plastic shopping bag from making its way up the radiator area a couple of time now. very simple install.

give them a call. 847-949-vett (8388)
ask for craig.

i believe you can also get them thru the major catalogues... ecklers, mid-america, corvette central

good luck
dan

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom