Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I put my car alarm on the phone

magicv8

I got my cellalarm in the mail this week and hooked it up to my car alarm. It works great. If my car alarm goes off, the cellalarm calls the phone I carry. One more level of protection, and a good one too.

Please provide more detail. This is a new one to me, but seems like a great idea.

magicv8 said:
Three wire hook up: power, ground, 12volt siren/speaker of your alarm. If the alarm goes off it calls any number you insert.

www.bustthem.com

Thanks for the heads up magic
I have an older set up on my car that actually pages me.( I use it on my cadillac store in a neighbors garage.) What type of a signal does it give you

Everyone, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE be VERY careful about how you use a product like this.
I spent a good number of years in the car audio and car security industry and I always had a lot of people asking me for just this type of product. They wanted to be paged or called by the alarm if it went off. I always tried to discourage this.
Ba aware this can be dangerous and you must be very cautious on how you respond if it goes off. Too many people want to immediately run out to the car and confront a thief to save their car. This is an excellent way to get harmed or killed.
You have no idea why the alarm went off or if it was triggered by an actual car thief. If your car is actually being broken into and it's not just a false alarm (which can happen a lot and could get very annoying if it calls you each time) you could walk into a situation where someone has a weapon and willing to use it against you to keep from getting caught or losing their "prize".

granted, we all want to protect our cars as best we can but NO car, no matter the monetary value of the car or the sentimental value of the car, is worth getting killed over. We all have insurance.

most thefts of cars are young joyriders out for a thrill, but if you were to come across a professional car thief, NO alarm or pager is going to stop them from getting your car if they want it. When the alarm calls or pages you, do you really know which situation you may run into if you go rushing out to your car? You don't, and that's the dangerous part. If it's just a kid fooling around you will most likey scare him off, but if it's a serious car thief than you are very much putting your health or life in danger.

A better alternative is LoJack or other type of tracking alarms that when the alarm gets triggered it will contact a monitoring station that can track where the car is, call the local police, and let the police track and find your car. You may feel more helpless in this situation, but at least you are safe and ALIVE to be concerned and that's always better than dead or in the hospital.

BTW, even after years spent in that industry, I no longer even bother with alarms on any of our cars. As I've mentioned, if a professional wants your car, he is going to get it no matter what you do or what kind of alarm you put on it.

BarryK - I plan to call 911 if I see a problem. I also carry a can of grizzly bear repellant (that I normally use for hiking in the Rockies) to defend myself. Although the cellalarm adds a layer of security, it also makes it possible to be sure something isn't provoking the (annoying) alarm by the hour while you are too far away to hear it. I have been in hotels where that happened during thunderstorms - I was hoping the car I was listening to would eventually get a dead battery.

IH2LOSE - the cellalarm just establishes a normal phone connection. The target phone can hear the alarm running. The connection is severed by hanging up the target phone.

BarryK said:
Everyone, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE be VERY careful about how you use a product like this.
I spent a good number of years in the car audio and car security industry and I always had a lot of people asking me for just this type of product. They wanted to be paged or called by the alarm if it went off. I always tried to discourage this.
Ba aware this can be dangerous and you must be very cautious on how you respond if it goes off. Too many people want to immediately run out to the car and confront a thief to save their car. This is an excellent way to get harmed or killed.
You have no idea why the alarm went off or if it was triggered by an actual car thief. If your car is actually being broken into and it's not just a false alarm (which can happen a lot and could get very annoying if it calls you each time) you could walk into a situation where someone has a weapon and willing to use it against you to keep from getting caught or losing their "prize".

granted, we all want to protect our cars as best we can but NO car, no matter the monetary value of the car or the sentimental value of the car, is worth getting killed over. We all have insurance.

most thefts of cars are young joyriders out for a thrill, but if you were to come across a professional car thief, NO alarm or pager is going to stop them from getting your car if they want it. When the alarm calls or pages you, do you really know which situation you may run into if you go rushing out to your car? You don't, and that's the dangerous part. If it's just a kid fooling around you will most likey scare him off, but if it's a serious car thief than you are very much putting your health or life in danger.

A better alternative is LoJack or other type of tracking alarms that when the alarm gets triggered it will contact a monitoring station that can track where the car is, call the local police, and let the police track and find your car. You may feel more helpless in this situation, but at least you are safe and ALIVE to be concerned and that's always better than dead or in the hospital.

BTW, even after years spent in that industry, I no longer even bother with alarms on any of our cars. As I've mentioned, if a professional wants your car, he is going to get it no matter what you do or what kind of alarm you put on it.

Barry excellent point and well taken.I have had my alarm page me once,actually twice the first one was because some one was leaning into the car with the top down to admire it at a car show and the interiour motion sencor caught them. (my mistake for setting the alarm when I got out) Secound time was the car was in storage and the doors were unlocked alarm was set and the neighbors son was showing a freind the car.The alarm in this car is programed to page with no audable alarm, page with alarm or just sound an alarm.Because its in a neighbors garage its set only to page.He was blush in the face when I showed up in the garage while he was showing the car to a freind.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom