Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I saw this in Chevy High Performance magazine...

Ken

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
1987 Z51 Silver Coupe
California Exhaust Note

SEMA submitted a proposal to the California Legislative Counsel for a new bill that would provide for a statewide exhaust sysytem testing program. Under the proposal, owners of vehicles deemed by law enforcement officers to be in violation of California's 95-decibel exhaust noise limit would be issued a notice to correct the violation. Upon delivering proof that a test of the exhaust system was performed at a licensed muffler certification station and the exhaust sysytem was found to comply with the prescribed decibel limit, the violation would be certified as corrected. While this new legislation will still allow the authorities to issue "fix-it" tickets, it also allows hobbyists to objectively prove that their exhaust systems comply with California law.

Senator Maurice Johannessen (R) has agreed to introduce the bill on SEMA's behalf. You may remember Johannessen as the author of S.B. 1081, the bill that was signed into law last session that compelled law enforcement to tie exhaust-system noise citations to a 95-decibel limit.

95 is too low. I'm all for peace and serenity, but any Harley can thump on that law. I guess law enforcement has nothing better to do? Must be nice to live in such a non-violent state in imaginary world. Restrictions, restrictions.... Don't do this, don't do that. :( Home of the free, I guess. :eyerole

--Bullitt

Bullitt, they're even enforcing that 95-db rule at a lot of drag strips nowadays. :eyerole

_ken :w

Yeah, I think that crap started with Monterey residents complaining about the race noise from Laguna Seca. When someone mentioned that the races bring in money, they were like "Oh, right!" Then they just got rid of the smaller series races and let the bigger series' dollars roll in.

Short story: My father had a co-worker named Jesse, who would take his Harley downtown unmuffled and scare the sh** out of the lunch goers. That thing wound up like a P-51 Mustang! This guy was a little off, but it was a good laugh anyways. I guess that's how I learned about hooliganism. :gap

--Bullitt

95 DB? I think my stock exhust system on my stang is louder then that!

I wish somebody would pass a bill to get these a-hole kids to turn down their music. I rather listen to a throaty muscle car or a Harley at a stop light over the crap music they listen to.

Trixie said:
I wish somebody would pass a bill to get these a-hole kids to turn down their music. I rather listen to a throaty muscle car or a Harley at a stop light over the crap music they listen to.

I'm with you Trixie - turn off the crap, turn up the real music coming from a rumbling V-8. :_rock
- Eric :w

What the heck is a licensed muffler cirtification station? :confused

There is a lot to be said for living in fly-over country. You CA folks need to get active and take your state back from the sociocrats before they put the hammer and sickle on your license plates.

Tom

Tom Bryant said:
You CA folks need to get active and take your state back from the sociocrats before they put the hammer and sickle on your license plates.

Tom [/B]

Reason #1,549 I don't live in CA. When I drive around home, glances from other people are of admiration of my exhaust note. Or I can drive south to KY where straight pipes are common and emissions testing is unheard of.

It is lower in the UK, 85db and all motorbikes must have an approved pipe, aftermarket pipes not meeting the regs have to be stamped for off road use. It can`t be to long before it come round to aftermarket cars exhausts as well.

So far I have had nothing but smiles with my dual "for racing only" Fireblade mufflers. It will be interesting to see how it goes with the sidepipes, hopefully the cop doesn`t burn his shins when he leans in the window and asks the usual question.

"How many miles to the gallon does this thing do Son"

:L :L

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom