Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I think I found a project car...

ZRGator

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
1993 40th ZR1, 1967 Red 427/400 coupe
So there I was down in VA with my parents for Christmas and I took my Dad for a drive over the mountain from Luray to Harrisonburg. There's a vette under a car cover I've seen many, many times and I resolved myself to stop on the way back and get my questions answered. What was under there and was it buyable?
So, on the way back, we stopped. We were in my Dad's S10 Extreme truck which happens to be yellow. The wife and teenaged boy came out on the deck as we pulled up and of course the kid was crazy about the truck. So I asked about the vette and the wife says, "Oh a lot of guys have asked, but he'll never sell it." Then she says, "But you can ask him, here he comes." And the owner pulls in and we get to talking real friendly like and he pulls the cover off the car. It's a 65 coupe that once was goldwood yellow. It's now faded to almost a cream color. There was evidence of someone trying to put on a 67 hood scoop and the paint was blistered almost every where. The inside had completely faded carpet and cruddy looking black leather seats (looks like thy're easily cleanable). Ther was an automatic shifter and the slot in the dash for...factory air. It also had the under dash vents and the balls were there (I love a car with balls..:L ). So, he opens the hood and there is a 327/300 with the a/c setup in there. As an aside, I always get surprised when I see how small the m/c reservoir is on this year. He tells me the car has never been hit and from I could tell under the front fenders, he's right. The frame looked good from the top and from under the front, but I couldn't get anywhere else under it due to the way it was parked and what was around it. He then started telling me how a couple of guys in the area wanted to buy it from him and he couldn't part with it, although he had two bad knees and claimed he hadn't driven it in 2 years (it looked so obviuosly like he hadn't driven it in many more years than that). So he asks me how much I think it''s worth and how much to get it looking good again. I hesutate and tell him I hate to just meet a guy and start criticizing his car...buuut....I guesstimate about 15 - 18k for the car and just as much to get it looking good again. When I tell him the cracked door panels alone will run $700.00, you could hear him gasp.
At this point he tells me the motor is not original but it is a chevy 327/300. It has sidepipes with the correct covers but the holes are still in the rear valence for the stock exhausts. It has the original hub caps on the car. I proceed to tell him he has what is known as a "lady's car" with the auto and the air and he tells me the car is not originally an auto and shows me the clutch pedal tucked inder the carpet.
My question to the forum is this..what is the car worth as a project? I know you want pics and such, but I was kinda in a position to leave when he told me he had a funeral to go to...but not before asking me for my name and number so he could think about it.
Thoughts? Oh, and it has a clear title. What about the 15 - 18K to buy?
It would be a great project for a body off for Barry and I...ehh?

Dennis
If you get it I'd be glad to come down and offer what very little assitence and help I could - it would be fun.
As BWmurph always tells me............. "it's fun to work on OTHER peoples cars because it doesn't cost me anything!" ;LOL

If he would let it go for $15-$18K i'd probably grab it. I saw a '65 project car at Carlisle this year that needed EVERYTHING from the ground up and it wasn't even an A/C car and the guy was asking $36K for it. I'd guess it would have taken a minimum of $25K at least to get that car running again.

ZRGator said:
The inside had completely faded carpet and cruddy looking black leather seats (looks like thy're easily cleanable). Ther was an automatic shifter and the slot in the dash for...factory air. It also had the under dash vents and the balls were there (I love a car with balls..:L ).
Me, too!!!;LOL;LOL;LOL

Sounds like a great project car, hope you get it!!!!

IMG_0547.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom