Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I want a mirror.....

K

Kap142

1) Was out in the Vette yesterday and decided I really don't like the blind spot on the pass. side of my 72 coupe. Now NCRS might not approve but I want a pass side mirror. Are the kits offered by Mid America inclusive of a backing plate and template to properly locate the mirror?

Any 72 dudes done this?

2) Seem to have a brake problem. Just after I got the girl I noticed the brake pedal fading away. No leaks mind you, also manual brakes, so I changed the master cylinder and bleed the system, still fade, so I put her up on jack stands and opened all bleeders and gravity bleed the system, oh and I bench bled the master cyl, correcly I think but still I have serious pedal fade. and the second half of this is if I hit the brakes hard she'll pull hard L. I suspect this is a piston binding in the L.F. caliper but am not real sure.

I will gladly listen to input and experience. thanks

Ken

I have done this...

1) Was out in the Vette yesterday and decided I really don't like the blind spot on the pass. side of my 72 coupe. Now NCRS might not approve but I want a pass side mirror. Are the kits offered by Mid America inclusive of a backing plate and template to properly locate the mirror?

Any 72 dudes done this?

Ken

The passenger side mirror was a "dealer" installed item and im sure its approved but not positive. It comes with the template and bracket, everything needed to put it on in the right place.
I did both mirrors so they looked identical, and man , brand new chrome looks sweet!
My kit was from Mid America too....
My advise, get both...measure 4 or 5 times, be sure that you have it right as you will drill 2 holes in the skin to mount it.
I really like having it there to help with the blind spot....An easy job with great results.
Welcome to the CAC Ken:_rock
Good Luck, Chas

(Heres a shot of my right side)
corvette.JPG

Yup, it was a dealer installed item. It was a "courtesy" thing done by the dealership on the cars of repeat customers - a way of saying thank you.
This is what I've read, anyway.

2) Seem to have a brake problem. Just after I got the girl I noticed the brake pedal fading away. No leaks mind you, also manual brakes, so I changed the master cylinder and bleed the system, still fade, so I put her up on jack stands and opened all bleeders and gravity bleed the system, oh and I bench bled the master cyl, correcly I think but still I have serious pedal fade. and the second half of this is if I hit the brakes hard she'll pull hard L. I suspect this is a piston binding in the L.F. caliper but am not real sure.

I will gladly listen to input and experience. thanks

Ken

Does the pedal fade just sitting in the garage, or only after driving it some distance? If you lose pedal and there are no leaks, it's either air or the master cylinder bypassing internally.

:beer

Does the fade thing....

On the road. Feels fairly tight, fairly, at the house, but put her on the road and "jeeze". I have no problem with the garvity bleed thing again, if you guys think it'll help but how do I get air out of the master cyl if their's air there too? The master cyl does have bleeders and I've cracked them with no apparent air.

Could the caliper problem demonestrate it self in other ways, like what I have now?

Get a new master cyclinder and convert all 4 calipers to stainless steel.

On the road. Feels fairly tight, fairly, at the house, but put her on the road and "jeeze". .............

..........Could the caliper problem demonestrate it self in other ways, like what I have now?

You may want to inspect the rear wheel bearings and brake disk rotor for run out. C2 and C3 cars are famous for 'pumping' air into the rear calipers if there is excess movement.

The limit is about .008" but that's far higher than I would run on the street.

You may want to inspect the rear wheel bearings and brake disk rotor for run out. C2 and C3 cars are famous for 'pumping' air into the rear calipers if there is excess movement.

The limit is about .008" but that's far higher than I would run on the street.

rear wheel bearings are also another prone trouble spot for C-3 Corvettes.

I can't read your response....

I keep looking at this picture of a doll on the left of my screen.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom