Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I wrecked the Z06 and need a good repair shop

hzl6cm

Corvette
1970 Laguna Grey Convert., '04 Z06
I managed to spin the car in to the ditch on Friday and crunched the right rear corner pretty good so I am looking for a good repair shop in the Kansas City area that can fix the rear suspension and replace the rear fascia (there is a small hole in it) and fix or replace a crack in the piece in front of the right rear tire. Besides that it bent the heck out of the right side muffler and popped the left front wheel off of the bead and scraped the rim. We have a good body shopy near where I live that does great paint work, Withrow's, but I don't know if they have any Corvette experience. I am most concerned about getting the suspension repaired and aligned correctly. Yesterday when I had the tire off to pull the muffler out of the way, I could not see any obvious bends in the suspension arms so I am concerned that the mounts or frame may be bent. The right rear wheel is pushed ahead a couple of inches and the bottom is pushed in. So let me know if you know of a good shop, especially if State Farm has paid for a repair at the shop. Thanks.
Here is a link to a picture:
Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum - PhotoPlog - Friday the 13th - Not a Good Day!

Ouch.......Sorry I can't help you with a suggestion, but I do hope you can get it fixed right.

Just curious, how did you lose it, rain, bad tires, was the traction control off?

I don't know for certain, but the traction control/active handling may have been inadvertently switched off. I did not see any message on the DIC before the incident, after the incident (when I restarted the car and tried to drive it out of the ditch before I realized how it was situated) or when I got in to help back it off of the flatbed tow truck at my house. However, when I reached in the car to bring up the odometer for the tow truck operator (who was sitting in the car at the time trying to get the mileage) the active handling off message was displayed on the DIC. Now I can't say that it was off before then, or if the tow truck operator hit it then or when they were recovering the car, I don't know. But it would make since given how quickly the car snapped around. I have never liked how that switch is set up - I figure one push should put the car in competition mode and you should have to hold it down to turn it all of the way off - instead it is the reverse of that. I have never turned the system all the way off, even on track day events, since the competition mode turns off the traction control, so it doesn't really hurt acceleration, while leaving on active handling which helps if you get in the corner too hot. On the street I have always just left everything on since it isn't all that intrusive (especially compared to the traction control that was one my '97 Z28).

If the ignition was turned off after the accident, and then later turned back on the vehicle would automatically turn the AH and TC back on!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

If the ignition was turned off after the accident, and then later turned back on the vehicle would automatically turn the AH and TC back on!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

Good point! I wasn't thinking, of course the ignition was turned off when it was being hauled home (which was only about 4 miles away so about everybody that knew my kids, my wife or myself drove by while they were recovering the car). I still don't know exactly what happened and fortunately the car wasn't damaged much, considering how hard it hit, except for the suspension.

That's why I never turn mine off! It is very hard to loose control of the car with it on.

Thanks for the feedback, best of luck man...sorry for your predicament, glad to know you are OK.

Looking at the Z06 Forum pic, things could have gotten a lot worse. Looks like you can out of it in halfway decent shape.

I dropped it off at a local body shop last night. I cleaned the mud off over the weekend and looked a little closer and saw three small cracks in the rear fender, so that needs a little work as well. It definitely could have been worse - looking at the pictures it looks like once each end got up on the edge of the ditch it slid quite a ways - fortunately it didn't hit any signs, poles or posts. Plus the ditch was soft dirt and grass - no rocks. If it had buried one end in the ditch it could have been bad or, as deep as the ditch was it easily could have rolled up on its side.

sorry to hear. How did everything get fixed up?

the dealership is never a bad place to get work done. Hopefully the bodyshop you took it to did a good jobl. how did everything go? any update?

sorry about your wreck,but everyone should know that it is sooo easy to lose it in a vette esp. a z06 the forums are full of wrecks.Corvettes demand respect-I know that from damn close encounters myselfI respect speed and power not that I'am a wuss but don't let me be the first to say-I told you so!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom