Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: I'm confused about what primers?

retired ralph

Corvette
1974 White
I went to 3 body shops today and a supplier of paints for body shops with my 74 Code 10 classic white vette. I told them I would be removing the original lacquer paint. I want to block sand it and which primer should I use. Well I got 4 different answers.
1. spi epoxy primer?
2. 3M Urethane primer?
3. Martin-Semour crossfire primer?
4. RM water borne line? I saw his work on vettes and it is 1st class. He said with the RM waterborne primer he would guarantee the paint job?
I'm not using any stripper. Sanding it off with sandpaper. Since it's original paint it is coming off like talcom powder.
Let me know please. Ralph

I think I'd go with whatever the guy that's going to do the final paint likes. Just from the guarantee standpoint.

Watch the edges with the sandpaper- it's easy to sand an edge too much and then have to go back and rebuild/fill it.

Primer

Ralph,
I would go with Sherwin Williams P-30W. It is a two component primer with a built-in guide coat. It also is pre-"flexed" for your front and rear bumpers. The P-30 is available in several colors. You would most likely want the "W" because you car is white. It can also be converted to a non-sanding sealer, just before you apply the base-coat color. Ultra 7000 base-coat for the color followed by CC950 Clear. You would be very happy with this system.
Good luck with your project.

Who is going to paint the car? If you are going to put the car in the shop for paint, use the priimer your painter recommends. If you are going to paint the car yourself, use what you feel will best suit you and your painting skills.

:thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom