Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I'm going to give this a try: C5 Convertible Trunk-lid "Pop-up" Problem

Corvette
2012 💯 4LT GS Roadster
A number of droptop owners have reported that, when they release the trunk lid, it doesn't pop up enough to get fingers under it.

Do not waste your time and money replacing the latch assembly. It has been and is now the same part, with different numbers, since 1997, so there is no point in replacing it unless it is broken, which should be obvious on inspection. Instead, fix what you have as follows:

1. Open the trunk. Then look to see where the latch spring hits the striker; if it contacts near the end of the striker, and has scratched the paint off, you have your solution, but the latch assembly may also be too low for the spring to exert effective force.

2. Remove the one central and two lateral floor compartment covers.

3. Unscrew the four thumbnuts holding the rear vertical carpet inserts in place; pull these carpet inserts out of their upper clips until they are loose, but do not fully remove them.

4. Pull the center vertical carpet insert that covers the latch assembly out at the top so as to remove it entirely.

5. Look under the latch with a good light, and mark the position of the bottom of this assembly with a pencil for guidance as you mess around later and as a fallback "stock" position if needed.

6. Loosen but do not remove the two 10 mm bolts that hold the latch assembly in place.

7. Reposition the latch assembly laterally so that the striker hits the middle of the spring, and raise the latch assembly a bit also.

8. Retighten the nuts, but not tightly - try it out. If the latch is too high, the lid will not be flush with the rear deck when closed, and if the lateral position is not optimal the lid will hesitate when opening.

9. Keep messing with the latch position until it is satisfactory in terms of popup height and trunk lid position when closed. Then tighten the two latch assembly bolts securely.

10 .Replace the various covers in the reverse sequence of that which you used when removing them; make sure that the floor compartment cover latches are fully engaged by pulling up on the covers, or they will rattle when accelerating and braking.

My convertible trunk lid popup was only about 1/8" with the considerable added weight of the Design Specialties trunk lid insert before the procedure outlined above, and it is >1" now, which restores full functionality. This adjustment procedure only requires a few minutes and one 10 mm socket wrench with a short extension. Finally, if you mark the initial latch assembly position as noted, there is no real chance of doing harm.

C5 Registry Link

Or.... If you are naturally challanged when it comes to fixing any damn thing yourself like me, you can order a C5 Trunk Popper for $19.95. It's mailed to your door in a few days including a Torx T30 Screwdriver and in a couple of minutes you can add this little spring thingie that works great.

Check out www.c5trunkpopper.com

I used a claw hammer but I must say both suggestions are better.My 03 wasn't that bad but I considered the popper.

it's far easier to remove the 2 outer tail lights and adjust it through the holes

A number of droptop owners have reported that, when they release the trunk lid, it doesn't pop up enough to get fingers under it.

Do not waste your time and money replacing the latch assembly. It has been and is now the same part, with different numbers, since 1997, so there is no point in replacing it unless it is broken, which should be obvious on inspection. Instead, fix what you have as follows:

1. Open the trunk. Then look to see where the latch spring hits the striker; if it contacts near the end of the striker, and has scratched the paint off, you have your solution, but the latch assembly may also be too low for the spring to exert effective force.

2. Remove the one central and two lateral floor compartment covers.

3. Unscrew the four thumbnuts holding the rear vertical carpet inserts in place; pull these carpet inserts out of their upper clips until they are loose, but do not fully remove them.

4. Pull the center vertical carpet insert that covers the latch assembly out at the top so as to remove it entirely.

5. Look under the latch with a good light, and mark the position of the bottom of this assembly with a pencil for guidance as you mess around later and as a fallback "stock" position if needed.

6. Loosen but do not remove the two 10 mm bolts that hold the latch assembly in place.

7. Reposition the latch assembly laterally so that the striker hits the middle of the spring, and raise the latch assembly a bit also.

8. Retighten the nuts, but not tightly - try it out. If the latch is too high, the lid will not be flush with the rear deck when closed, and if the lateral position is not optimal the lid will hesitate when opening.

9. Keep messing with the latch position until it is satisfactory in terms of popup height and trunk lid position when closed. Then tighten the two latch assembly bolts securely.

10 .Replace the various covers in the reverse sequence of that which you used when removing them; make sure that the floor compartment cover latches are fully engaged by pulling up on the covers, or they will rattle when accelerating and braking.

My convertible trunk lid popup was only about 1/8" with the considerable added weight of the Design Specialties trunk lid insert before the procedure outlined above, and it is >1" now, which restores full functionality. This adjustment procedure only requires a few minutes and one 10 mm socket wrench with a short extension. Finally, if you mark the initial latch assembly position as noted, there is no real chance of doing harm.

C5 Registry Link

This kind of stuff is what makes the CAC great. Thanks "6 Shooter".

I'll add that the same latch system is used on C5 FRC bodystyles, so it applies to those cars, too.

it's far easier to remove the 2 outer tail lights and adjust it through the holes

The only part of the procedure I didn't get was that.

If the latch assy is bolted to the inside, center of the rear bulkhead, how do you access that from the outer two tail light holes?

Or.... If you are naturally challanged when it comes to fixing any damn thing yourself like me, you can order a C5 Trunk Popper for $19.95. It's mailed to your door in a few days including a Torx T30 Screwdriver and in a couple of minutes you can add this little spring thingie that works great.

Check out www.c5trunkpopper.com

OK, call me lazy... I just put the trunkpopper on my Z06 and my vert and it works GREAT!!! Now I can get my fat fingers under the lid and open it without closing a door.

Call me what ever; but, the trunk popper has been on our o3 vert for 3 years now and is still poppin'. No complaints here.

Trunk popper

Another vote for the "popper" here.

The total install time is short enough that your coffee won't get cold when you set it down (or your beer won't have time to get warm).

Frankly, $20.00 is a small amount to solve this annoyance.

Ken Edney
Chandler, AZ

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom