Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I'm Impressed

Rowdy1

Corvette
1962 CORVETTE-SOLD 2004 Z16 Z06 CE
Well I got the 62 back and I couldn't be happier with it. After much research and many phone calls and emails I bought a kit from www.ClassicChevy5Speed.com which includes a TKO 600 Tremec 5 speed transmission machined to fit C1's, crossmember mount, speedo calibrated gear, driveshaft, and a McLoud shifter that is second to none. No chopping up the car, no welding, shifter comes up in the stock location and is the smoothest most positive shifter I've ever seen. I'm talking a basic bolt up kit, soup to nuts. The guys there are the best in my opinion, Jeff & Scott were available to answer my every question before my purchase, all through the install and after. It's made my 62 a much more enjoyable drive with a 5th gear ratio of .064 to one and lower gears than I had with the Richmond gear Super T10. I can't say enough about the kit or them. If you were like I was with a 4 speed wanting go fast low gears but being limited to top end and economy with a high rear end, this is the way to go. I dropped my RPM's at 65 MPH from 3600 to 2080 and actually gained a little more on the low end.

That is great! :upthumbs

I know you spent a lot of time researching exactly what unit you wanted to put in your beast. Sounds like you have a kick@ss set-up.

You could actually take some long trips, now! :D

And with the price of gas where it is, you can still afford to drive your Vette! :L

Was there anything that popped up and gave you a bit of a problem?

Save The Wave! :w

I just could not resist putting this one in, too!!!

:lou

Congrats on the tranny. That sounds like a sweet way to go with the tranny especially when it fits and bolts in without any "customizing". I will keep it in mind for a future project. Nice when a story has a happy ending. :)

No Problem

lt4man, not with the trans kit, the only thing that needed to be done was to alter the ashtray holder as it's below the tunnel level of the floor and it's a two minute job and not a hassle. I made other changes while I had it apart which took some time. I had been running stock exhaust manifolds since I built the engine because I was told by Hedman, Hooker and Trick Flow that no long tube headers are made to fit the angle of the spark plugs on the heads I have for a C1. Wrong, I now have long tubes on it and what a difference performance wise, it's like a different engine now. I also went with a new front disc brake conversion kit with a dual master cylinder seeing as how I could always make it go but stopping with drums 43 years old could create some problems. The only other weak link was the stock rear so I had a Ron Currie 9" made and installed and I went down a touch from 4.10 to 3.90. Now I have brakes, all new lines and a line lock, just for the "fans".
I also want to mention two fantastic guys that did the work as I don't have the facilities or the back for this kind of a project anymore, Michael Walsh and his Brother Joe from The Early Vette Shop in Shohola Pa. 570-685-4060. A complete restoration shop with plenty of experience in the C1 area even for aftermarket things. They worked with me every step of the way and you won't find two better guys, I made two new friends as well as had total confidence in the work they do that nothing was left to chance.
Bob, I'd have no problem doing a tour now with the overdrive and everything new in the driveline and brake and bearing area.
Larry, no reason to believe it won't pass the :lou test but ya just never know now do ya;) :beer

Very cool. Lou. It's a whole different car now. 2080rpm @ 65mph is great. You have a road car now. I've been thinking about the 5 speed conversion too. Also the thought of a better rear end has crossed my mind. I'd probably go with a Moser since they are just down the road a little over an hour.

I know that you probably covered this elsewhere but what headers did you use. How well did they line up with the exhaust holes in the frame?

Tom

Tom

Everything bolted up with no mods with except having to trim the scattershield a very little bit. The exhaust man however had a little problem with the drivers side pipe. 3 in the garbage before we were happy to be exact but they turned out great. A really rough angle to make to fit through the X frame but it can be done with patience.

Rowdy,

The magic word is patience. I know I could use several gallons more. :)

Michael and Joe sound like super people. You are certainly lucky to have found them.

I cannot hardly wait to get a ride in your NEW ride! It's gonna be awesome, man!

What brake conversion kit did you use? How do they work? Give us some comparisons.

Save The Wave! :w

Rowdy1 said:
Well I got the 62 back and I couldn't be happier with it. After much research and many phone calls and emails I bought a kit from www.ClassicChevy5Speed.com which includes a TKO 600 Tremec 5 speed transmission machined to fit C1's, crossmember mount, speedo calibrated gear, driveshaft, and a McLoud shifter that is second to none. No chopping up the car, no welding, shifter comes up in the stock location and is the smoothest most positive shifter I've ever seen. I'm talking a basic bolt up kit, soup to nuts. The guys there are the best in my opinion, Jeff & Scott were available to answer my every question before my purchase, all through the install and after. It's made my 62 a much more enjoyable drive with a 5th gear ratio of .064 to one and lower gears than I had with the Richmond gear Super T10. I can't say enough about the kit or them. If you were like I was with a 4 speed wanting go fast low gears but being limited to top end and economy with a high rear end, this is the way to go. I dropped my RPM's at 65 MPH from 3600 to 2080 and actually gained a little more on the low end.

Heh.. Congrats Rowdy Boy. Your now a member of the 5 Speed OD Club. I'm sure you'll enjoy your Tremec. I've had mine now for several years. Although I bought my Kit from Keisler Automotive. Classic Chevy 5 speed are I think the new guys on the block and use a different rearshifter and oil tail seal mechanism. Don't know how well it will fare compared to the Keisler. But I'm sure the Tremec will hold up fine. My Shifter assembly has over 5000 miles now and seems to work even better with age.

I'm sure you will enjoy many a happy miles with the Tremec. So I guess will see you up at Carlisle this year.. That is ..If you Don't Blow the Rear outa that thing before the show...:L

Rowdy I know you'll love the Tremec, as you know I have had one in my 76 for a long time (back before the offset shifter was availabe) it is easiest the best mod one can do to any older Vette

Tom............

I don't have the receipt right handy but I'm going to say it was the Hedman Hustlers 1' 7/8 tubes with the 3' collector.
lt4man, I really can't compare the new brakes to anything but the old brakes which were drum, so it's a no brainer but I do have to say, I never had a problem with them (knocking on wood).
VNV......Read further in, I replaced the rear with a Ron Currie 9", I know guys running 8.50's and holding the wheels up the first 100 feet in the quarter for 5 plus years and they haven't blown them before the show.
Craig, after seeing your B'Day cake, no comment but the shifter I have is all new as far as the Tremec goes. Not that I'm the first to have one but Classic Chevy 5 Speed has a McLoud shifter that is second to none. VNV, if you haven't seen the website they have with the pictures of the shifter, take the time to look.
There is NOTHING that will make as much of a difference to the older Vettes as a 5 speed and ClassicChevy5speed had the perfect package. Trust me, wanna go for a ride, ask Len:crazy

Not that I'm the first to have one but Classic Chevy 5 Speed has a McLoud shifter that is second to none. VNV, if you haven't seen the website they have with the pictures of the shifter, take the time to look.

Heh Rowdy Man.... Yep I have been to there site and seen there shifter design. Some of the info I have gathered is that there design is not as good as the Keisler in regards to the Meck that moves the shifter rails. From what I understand it may not hold up as well due to the design at the lever end. Also.. the tail shaft seal may leak down the road. I would keep an eye on it.

Now..everything I have stated above is from info I have gathered. I am not trying to slam the product or the company..or your decision to by the Classic Chevy tranny. I am just voicing my opinion here as I have a right to. I don't want to start any Tranny wars or create any problems. So please don't take the above opinion the wrong way.

It's just that the Keisler Shifter Meck is a tested and proven tranny and has excellent back up service now. Any way the important thing is to enjoy your car and your new tranny.

Looking forward to seeing you and your Vette at Carlisle...
:beer

Rowdy1 said:
I don't have the receipt right handy but I'm going to say it was the Hedman Hustlers 1' 7/8 tubes with the 3' collector.
lt4man, I really can't compare the new brakes to anything but the old brakes which were drum, so it's a no brainer but I do have to say, I never had a problem with them (knocking on wood).
VNV......Read further in, I replaced the rear with a Ron Currie 9", I know guys running 8.50's and holding the wheels up the first 100 feet in the quarter for 5 plus years and they haven't blown them before the show.
Craig, after seeing your B'Day cake, no comment but the shifter I have is all new as far as the Tremec goes. Not that I'm the first to have one but Classic Chevy 5 Speed has a McLoud shifter that is second to none. VNV, if you haven't seen the website they have with the pictures of the shifter, take the time to look.
There is NOTHING that will make as much of a difference to the older Vettes as a 5 speed and ClassicChevy5speed had the perfect package. Trust me, wanna go for a ride, ask Len:crazy

Hey Lou,
You owe me a ride!!! Congrats and Good Luck with the toy. I am sure you just love it and it only gets better.

Gerry

VNV,
Just a bit of info. I just had the u-joints on my new Keisler trans replaced. The ones that were supplied were spicer 1330/1310 and 1310/1310 both WITH ZERKS. The 1330 attached to the slip yoke was destroyed and I am lucky nothing bad happened as I first felt the vibration as I was throttling down from 140. I called Keisler and they now supply solid spicer units with their kit. If you have the zerks fitted ones I strongly suggest you change to the solid style. Also I noticed that the original straps were used for the pinion u-joint. I will replace these with billet style HD units similar to the ones Keisler supplies for the slip yoke. JMHO, but better to be safe than sorry.

gerry

Gerry said:
VNV,
Just a bit of info. I just had the u-joints on my new Keisler trans replaced. The ones that were supplied were spicer 1330/1310 and 1310/1310 both WITH ZERKS. The 1330 attached to the slip yoke was destroyed and I am lucky nothing bad happened as I first felt the vibration as I was throttling down from 140. I called Keisler and they now supply solid spicer units with their kit. If you have the zerks fitted ones I strongly suggest you change to the solid style. Also I noticed that the original straps were used for the pinion u-joint. I will replace these with billet style HD units similar to the ones Keisler supplies for the slip yoke. JMHO, but better to be safe than sorry.

gerry

Heh Gerry,
I have the new version Strapped Tranny Yoke from Keisler.. and all my U Joints are Spicer's non grease type. The old Grease type U joints were removed when I went to the 502. How ever ... My old ones..all 6 supplied by Keisler were Fine.. They showed no ware or damage. And that's after about 4000 miles.

Now we get into another area here. Drive line angle. I bought a drive line angle gauge and made sure that I had the correct angles from front to back.... Or... Tranny Yoke to Dive shaft yoke ... Drive shaft Yoke to Pinion Yoke.......... Very Very Important...!!!!!!!

Also.. I made sure that the tranny mount was solid and secure. I ended up using "Energy" Poly Motor mounts along with an Energy Trans Mount to make sure nothing flexed more then it should to maintain correct drive line u Joint angles..

Don't know if you have read anything on this subject or addresses any of the above but if you haven't I would revisit it...

Viet Nam Vett said:
Heh Gerry,
I have the new version Strapped Tranny Yoke from Keisler.. and all my U Joints are Spicer's non grease type. The old Grease type U joints were removed when I went to the 502. How ever ... My old ones..all 6 supplied by Keisler were Fine.. They showed no ware or damage. And that's after about 4000 miles.

Now we get into another area here. Drive line angle. I bought a drive line angle gauge and made sure that I had the correct angles from front to back.... Or... Tranny Yoke to Dive shaft yoke ... Drive shaft Yoke to Pinion Yoke.......... Very Very Important...!!!!!!!

Also.. I made sure that the tranny mount was solid and secure. I ended up using "Energy" Poly Motor mounts along with an Energy Trans Mount to make sure nothing flexed more then it should to maintain correct drive line u Joint angles..

Don't know if you have read anything on this subject or addresses any of the above but if you haven't I would revisit it...

I couldn't agree with you more but all of the above were addressed. I also used polygraphite HD motor and trans mounts not the ones supplied by Keisler (trans) as they looked flimsy. The one thing that I did find is that the bolts were not as tight as they should have been. This is because this engine VIBRATES big time and now we are using locktite on everything. It is interesting that only the cups attached to the trans slip yoke were wasted so it is not inconceivable that they were not good to start or had some flaw which was exposed by repeated 650 HP pounding on it. On the subject of angle, I spoke to Tom of Tom's differentials and he stated the obvious that both angles should cancel each other out and that they each should be 3 degrees or less from level. He also told me that using 1350 u-joints would be the minimun for this power level and that if I ever used good racing slicks and got the car to hook up I would eventually break the 1350s. The best would be using 1480s all around but I have been checking and that may not be possible without cutting and I won't do that. Oh well.

Gerry

Gerry said:
I couldn't agree with you more but all of the above were addressed. I also used polygraphite HD motor and trans mounts not the ones supplied by Keisler (trans) as they looked flimsy. The one thing that I did find is that the bolts were not as tight as they should have been. This is because this engine VIBRATES big time and now we are using locktite on everything. It is interesting that only the cups attached to the trans slip yoke were wasted so it is not inconceivable that they were not good to start or had some flaw which was exposed by repeated 650 HP pounding on it. On the subject of angle, I spoke to Tom of Tom's differentials and he stated the obvious that both angles should cancel each other out and that they each should be 3 degrees or less from level. He also told me that using 1350 u-joints would be the minimun for this power level and that if I ever used good racing slicks and got the car to hook up I would eventually break the 1350s. The best would be using 1480s all around but I have been checking and that may not be possible without cutting and I won't do that. Oh well.

Gerry

Cool ... Glad to see it was addressed. The key to my build was...The Tires are my saftey Valves. Since I'm working with tech from the 60's..that being the frame.. I wasn't interesed in going any larger then a 502. The Build guidelines were simply a big torquey motor with at least 500 HP for the street. Any larger would put me into another animal which would raise the cost of the build and require more work and special HD parts.

No .. Money Mo..Money. So.. i just set myself a stop point There was a time when I was looking at a 572... But I desided that what I allready had in Parts would give me the bang for the street buck. Not interested in floging it on the drag strip on a regular basis ..or doing sustaned burn outs.

But just having Boo-Coo torque and some BB Hp when I want to play.

Sounds great, the 572 would not have fit without some ? mods as it is a tall block. Tires are all the midyear safety valves except when flares and big meats are used (67 Heaven). Good prevention would also include halfshaft and driveshaft loops. They are a pain but the "what if" factor always looms in the back of my mind. I suspect with 500 HP on tap they might not be a bad idea for insurance for your vehicle too. But everything costs $$$$ sooo.

Best regards,
Gerry

We'll See I Guess

Viet Nam Vett said:
Heh Rowdy Man.... Yep I have been to there site and seen there shifter design. Some of the info I have gathered is that there design is not as good as the Keisler in regards to the Meck that moves the shifter rails. From what I understand it may not hold up as well due to the design at the lever end. Also.. the tail shaft seal may leak down the road. I would keep an eye on it.

Now..everything I have stated above is from info I have gathered. I am not trying to slam the product or the company..or your decision to by the Classic Chevy tranny. I am just voicing my opinion here as I have a right to. I don't want to start any Tranny wars or create any problems. So please don't take the above opinion the wrong way.

It's just that the Keisler Shifter Meck is a tested and proven tranny and has excellent back up service now. Any way the important thing is to enjoy your car and your new tranny.

Looking forward to seeing you and your Vette at Carlisle...
I'm not about to take your or anyone else's opinion the wrong way or argue who's got the best product. I too did some info gathering and I did what I thought was right for my peace of mind. We're both "Joisy Boyz" and with the new trans we really should be able to :beer before Carlisle.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom