Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

In the market

S

SrDesertRat

There's something about having a corvette - it's an addiction! I've had two C4's in the past, an '85 and a '91. Why I left them is a long story not worth the retelling.

But I'm back. The only thing is both of my previous were coupes and I'm not sure that's the way I want to go this time. I would certainly appreciate any insights from those that have or have had 'verts. What are the major differences, anything in particular to look out for (I live in the desert so rain isn't a worry), handling characteristics, etc.

Thanks in advance.:confused

I would suggest coming up with a budget and working from there.

Unless of course moneys no object:cool

Carlo

I'm not sure money is never an object. But you're right - 'verts tend to be a bit pricier than comparable coupes.

Part of the question, of course, is whether they are worth the difference.

Been my experience that 'verts tend to hold their value a little better... Just my .02

I just purchased my first vette (Monday) and it's a vert. I really couldn't envision driving anything but. Since I haven't owned a coupe, I can't really comment on the difference in ride since my only coupe experience is an 85 Z51 which is a harsh ride. I have thoroughly enjoyed driving with the top down.

First of all, welcome to the CAC - no better Vette site around!

My perspective on this is that of a C3 owner but I honestly don't think that matters. When I was looking for the Vette I have now I had very particular wants. I went out wanting a 70-72 coupe in blue, yellow, or silver or a 70-73 convertible in any color that didn't remind me of vomit:L. Notice my requirements were much more flexible for a vert. Now that it's all said and done, I am much happier now than I think I ever could have been in a coupe. Interestingly enough, a friend of mine sold his 88 coupe five years ago and is now in the market to get another. He is dead-set on a black Vette but said if it's a convertible, color isn't as much of an issue.

To me, a topless Vette has one of the greatest classic profiles ever, regadless of model year.

I have to admit there are times I'd like to have a coupe but that's only because I need a new top. Once that's taken care of I have a feeling those times will be in the past.

Regardless of which you buy, best of luck in the hunt and enjoy!

Toy or trreasure?

After you set the budget, what are your intentions? Is this to be a 'driver' or are you looking for appreciation? The C-5s are easier to enter/exit than the C-4s, which are bottoming out in price, I feel.

The C-3s are coming on in price, while the older, more collectible cars are pricey.

If you drive drive during daylight summers, I am sure A/C is a must; probably a later model.

Corvette Mike, in Orange, CA (I think) has a nice inventory of clean cars, which explains his prices. I've not found too many 'drivers' there though.

Good hunting! Ya gotta know what ya want, first!

just a toy

I know Corvette Mike's well - that's where I purchased my first corvette, the '85, when they were over in Anaheim near Disneyland.

You're right about right vs. value there and for a first-timer or someone looking for a collectible, that's definitely the place to go.

Actually, in the time since I first posted here I think I've found my next Vette - a '92 Black Rose coupe with 54K on the clock but the condition looks more like 5400 miles. Has some paint chips, however, from road gravel that will need to be taken care of but once done, it will be in premier condition.

Thanks to all who contributed to my post - I'm sure we'll be back in contact in the future.:_rock :beer

Congratulations on your find! Black Rose is a nice choice:upthumbs. Be sure to post some pictures so we can see your new addition.

- Eric :w

The thing is never confuse diving a non Vette convertable with a Vert, I have driven many so called convertables Jap European ext, but my vert is the only car I have ever driven at well over the limit with the top and windows down without having my brains blown out. 3 series Bob's for example are undrivable over 50 with the top down.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom