Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Info on the Borg Warner T-10 transmission

Wolverine

Corvette
1976 Bright yellow L82 4-speed
I have a '76 with the L-82 engine. The 4-speed transmission was just rebuilt and I was told by my mechanic that it is a Borg Warner T-10 (I'm pretty certain it was the original).

Does anyone have any information on the T-10? Was it the standard transmission matched with the L-82 in '76? If not, what else could have been ordered? Does the T-10 come with close-ratio and wide-ratio? How would I know which I have for sure?

Thanks. Just want to know as much as I can about my Vette.

Brian

You have a Super T-10 (ST-10), made by Borg Warner. It is the factory tranny. It came in different configurations. Your vin # is on the case, drivers side towards rear. It's a very good tranny. Ask the rebuilder what your specs are...

The Super T-10 is a good box, and is stronger than the Muncie it replaced. The close-ratio and wide-ratio boxes are identical externally; short of tearing it down, the only way to tell which one it is can be determined by a paint stamp on the main case just below the side cover (if it's still there). The wide-ratio box was stamped "HS", and the close-ratio was stamped "HW".
:beer

stronger than the Muncie it replaced
I can attest to that and so can a couple mustangs :L

I am actually suprised how well the tranny has held up considering I have 80+k miles on the clock and several indications this car was run hard on top of what I have put her through.

FWIW I think these ST-10's are whats used on NASCAR's. I think Liberty and Lenco can beef up these trannys to handle 1000hp!

Frank

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom