Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Information / 1986 U-Joints

M

michael mars

Dear Readers:
I just discovered the joys of removing & replacing the U-Joints on my drive shaft.
The front joint was bad! the rear showed signs of extreme wear.
My question is.
Are those half shafts going to come out easy?
Thats to say; after removing the bolts, Will I be able to fish them out.
OR will this be a real pain in the Ass.
There are no signs of ''slop'' However they have that teltail rusty look. And there are no fittings to grease. This car just turned 100,000 So I know it's just a matter of miles and I want to be prepared.
Any information or suggestions would be helpful.
Mike in Illinois
grentzer@msn.com

Make sure your suspension is unloaded and the frame is jacked up. Take the wheel sides off first so that the differential shafts slide in. They may take a little prying to come out of the cradles, but they shouldn't be any worse than the driveshaft to get out.

Now that makes me feel better!
thank's for the speedy reply.
Mike

I recently did my halfshafts due to them being quite worn (156,000 on the car). I agree about taking the wheels off the car, and that you'll have to do some prying to get the shafts out. Ahead of time, start off with some good penetrating oil on the bolts (fairly small diameter) on the bearing cap "keepers" (the straps that go around the bearing caps on the end of the yokes). Mine were quite rusty, and I was afraid I'd snap some off. I soaked them several times, a couple hours prior, with penetrating oil, and then took my time loostening them, and I had no trouble with breakage.

When you assemble them, clean out any debris from the areas that the bearing caps on the yoke will seat, as mine were rusty and needed cleaning. You may have trouble keeping the bearing caps in as far as they have to be, to get them to fit dwn into the seats, but you will get it. If you don't, you will have a very out-of-balance condition, and you'll have to do them again. Just clean everything, and seat things properly, and yo will be fine.

Thanks for the reply.
I was afraid that I was going to have to remove suspension parts & ETC:
I'M burned out & broke after all this recent repair.
Sometime next month I will do those half shafts and the rear brakes at the same time.
Later, Mike

If you had trouble with the drive shaft the half shafts are 10 times harder to install.
To remove the half shafts a Huge pry bar will be needed.
Rotate the half shaft until you can get it out ,after the bolts are out.
To get the half shafts back in well ,you are on your own.
Don't grease the U-jounts when you put the half shafts together,becarefull not to lose the needle bearings.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom