Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

iPod Interface on the C5

timfitz63

Corvette
'98 Aztec Gold Coupe; '04 Millennium Yellow 'Vert'
Has anyone out there found a good way to interface an iPod with the C5 stock stereo system? I've got the dash-mounted CD player with the 12-CD changer in mine, so I don't believe I have an auxiliary input available. I can't use a cassette player adapter like I use in my '97 GMC Jimmy, and from what I've read about them, the FM transmitters don't provide particularly good sound quality.

I've recently seen a retrofit kit offered (C6 C5 Corvette iPod Interface 1997-2010 - Mid America Motorworks) that provides a pre-wired iPod interface using the existing radio controls, but you've got to give up the 12-CD changer on the C5. And I don't particularly want to do that...

Any other options out there for us C5 drivers?

For what it's worth, I really didn't want to go through the hassle of hardwiring, so I did go wireless. After a massive search and reading reivew after review of different wireless systems, I bought the Macally FM Cup. It exceeded all my expectations and I have been very happy with it.

Here is my initial post about it: http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/thread113333.html#post960278

My review: http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/thread113333-2.html#post962618

Pics of it in my 'vette: http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/thread113333-2.html#post962783

Good hunting!

Thanks, "Fullback32!" That does seem like a better solution than some of the other FM transmitters I've seen! To be honest, I think the last time I considered a wireless option was 4-5 years ago, so it's possible they've improved the technology in the interim. Plus I like that this one (according to your thorough review) stows relatively easily and securely in the existing cup holder, keeps the iPod display/controls easily accessible, and charges the iPod while you're using it.

As you pointed out, I don't know whether it will interefere with my manual shifter, but based on what I see from your installation photos, I tend to think that it will not.

If a better solution isn't presented to me, I believe I'll buy me one of these! Thanks again!

I was looking at setting the radio up in my 01 to be able to work with my I-pod. After extensive research I backed away from the idea. The one unit i was considering was made by Peripheral, it too did not interface 100%.

So in the end I just continue to burn CD's of my favorite music. Less hassle and 100% great quality.

The GM AUX 10 and Cor Hor- harness worked great for me, i did a combo sirius and ipod hook up. It took about 1 hour to hook up.

The best sound is with the direct hook up by far. I was able to add a pre-amp between the Ipod and the radio so it can play loud and clean enough to overcome the nosie of driving with the roof off. Not having any hanging wires, lose connections and stations to tune in is a plus.

I had also initially gone the route of burning CD's and keeping them loaded in my changer. But I recently found that the "home-grown" CD's had degraded: they weren't playing properly (pausing, skipping, giving read errors, etc.). The CD's are close to 7 years old, and had been kept inside the trunk of my Vette at length during that period -- sometimes in the heat of the San Antonio summer (mainly inside my garage, but also outside at work during the day; not a lot of direct sunlight inside my garage, but still 90+ in the summer). I had always thought CD's (even those "burned" by the user on their home computers) were permanent, but perhaps they're not as robust as the commercially-manufactured ones...? Maybe I used inferior-quality CD-ROM's...? I don't know... ;shrug

In any case, I'm reasonably certain it is not the CD changer. I immediately loaded some commercially-manufactured CD's (i.e., albums), and ran them through the changer over the course of a couple days. Even playing the tracks randomly, the CD changer never missed a note of music.

I'd also noted that the sound quality of the CD's I'd "burned" wasn't always "CD-quality;" at least it could be spotty from track to track. I'd get "static" or "crackling" on some tracks, then the very next track on the CD would be fine. I remember reading in the owner's manual (p. 3-79 "Playing a CD") that the audio quality with "burned" CD's might produce that effect, though. But I've never noticed any audio quality issues with commercially-manufactured CD's, whether in the changer or dash player.

Which brought me to the desire to interface the iPod with the stock radio. I'll have to explore the other suggestions offered (thanks, guys!), then decide how much effort I want to put into this endeavor! Any other suggestions, just keep 'em comin'!

I went with the PIE X3 setup. It allowed me to keep my CD stack as well as add my iPod. You get a remote button that'll toggle between the CD changer and 3 AUX inputs. I'm really pleased. I wanted to keep the changer because I don't always want to leave my iPod in the car.

PIE%20X3.JPG

I noticed that the GM AUX 10 and X3 are both manufactured by P.I.E. The former does not have a provision to keep the CD changer; and the latter has three auxiliary inputs, which appears to allow use of the CD changer and up three other devices.

My question here is: does P.I.E. make a scaled-down version of the X3 (e.g., X1?) that keeps the CD changer, but provides one additional auxiliary input? For my purposes, the two extra ports of the X3 would be wasted.

I noticed that the GM AUX 10 and X3 are both manufactured by P.I.E. The former does not have a provision to keep the CD changer; and the latter has three auxiliary inputs, which appears to allow use of the CD changer and up three other devices.

My question here is: does P.I.E. make a scaled-down version of the X3 (e.g., X1?) that keeps the CD changer, but provides one additional auxiliary input? For my purposes, the two extra ports of the X3 would be wasted.

In my case they are too. But they're easily accessible in the center cubby in the back of my Vette if I need them. FWIW: The remote button that controls the input select fits perfectly in the hole left by removing the ashtray - it even snaps in place.

The remote button that controls the input select fits perfectly in the hole left by removing the ashtray - it even snaps in place.

Cool! Did you route the remote cord so that it's hidden inside the center console (which would seem to be a chore); or just snake it from the back bin to the front of the cockpit (ashtray), hiding it where possible?

Also, how did you secure all of this in the back so it wasn't bashing around inside the bin?

This is something that I've looked for as well since I got my C5. All I want to do is hook something up so I can use the headphone jack from my iPod. I really don't care about charging it or using the C5's audio controls to change songs, etc.

That $330 system from Mid America is just too expensive!:L

Well, that was a subsequent thought I'd had about the P.I.E. X3: it doesn't appear to allow control of the iPod through either its remote or the buttons on the stock radio head; the audio is supplied via mini plug/RCA connectors, which is just like connecting a headphone to the iPod. So, if you leave the iPod is way back in the trunk bin, you can't control it; you'd have to pull over to start a new album or playlist. Or you'd have to string a long mini plug/RCA connector cable from the X3 to the iPod, so you could keep it up front where you can control it. Now you've got two sets of wires running up from the trunk bin (X3 remote plus the iPod connection) -- and potential signal losses from the longer mini plug/RCA connector run... I wonder: does the X3 provide signal amplification too, given the required audio connection...?

I agree; but Mid America always seemed to me to be a bit pricey compared to other sources.

Ultimately, for what you end up getting from a hard-wired iPod solution (mainly better sound quality compared to an FM transmitter), the Macally FM Cup might be the best all-around solution in the end: it's economical, easy-to-install, portable (i.e., can be used in multiple vehicles), and keeps the iPod, charged, secure, and handy.

Cool! Did you route the remote cord so that it's hidden inside the center console (which would seem to be a chore); or just snake it from the back bin to the front of the cockpit (ashtray), hiding it where possible?

Also, how did you secure all of this in the back so it wasn't bashing around inside the bin?

I routed them (both the remote cable and the stereo write for the iPod connection) under the rear carpet and under the console. I drilled a small hole in the center console cubby to pass the phone jack through. The remote switch I ran on up under the console (secured to existing wire/cable runs). The actual X3 has some velcro and just sits in the bottom of the rear storage (tucked under the CD stack if I remember).

I'll try to take some pictures to share. I've been pretty happy with it. The only gripe is that I couldn't find a decent aux power input that stayed powered on after you turn off the key, but haven't opened the door yet (like the radio does). I didn't feel like trying to tap into the radio power line, so I just live with it.

For what it's worth, I really didn't want to go through the hassle of hardwiring, so I did go wireless. After a massive search and reading reivew after review of different wireless systems, I bought the Macally FM Cup. It exceeded all my expectations and I have been very happy with it.

Here is my initial post about it: http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/960278-post14.html

My review: http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/962618-post18.html

Pics of it in my 'vette: http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/962783-post22.html

Good hunting!

Finally pulled the trigger on this gizmo. Seems to work fairly well! Thanks for the tip!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom