Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

iPod through aux on factory Delco stereo

Sharondippity

Corvette
2001 Torch Red Coupe
I got the runaround today at Circuit City and Good Guys.

I do NOT want the FM modulator, I want my iPod hardwired to my stereo and utilize the aux on my existing stereo.

Anyone have this done already? How did you go about getting it set up?

You are looking for a product called "Ipod to car". I just bought the components from audio outfitters, (audiooutfitters.com). I found them to be the cheapest price around, (approx $165, box and harness). It used to be made by PAC and was called Aux Pod. Easy to install and sounds 100% better than the itrip.

I didn't know the factory system has an aux. input???

reubenmc said:
I didn't know the factory system has an aux. input???

It would be where the CD changer option would plug into if you don't have it. I would consider ripping the changer out if I could get something like this to work.

Leon

The "Ipod to car" unit is installed in the truck by the disc changer. You have to unplug the changer and use a connecting harness to plug into the "Ipod to car" aux box. There is an 8' cable with an ipod adapter that you can run to where you want the ipod to be. I keep mine in the glove box. This will leave your disc changer inoperable. If you want to use the changer, you simply plug it back in. If you do not have the disc changer, you must also purchase the wiring harness that it uses.

jrizz1 said:
The "Ipod to car" unit is installed in the truck by the disc changer. You have to unplug the changer and use a connecting harness to plug into the "Ipod to car" aux box. There is an 8' cable with an ipod adapter that you can run to where you want the ipod to be. I keep mine in the glove box. This will leave your disc changer inoperable. If you want to use the changer, you simply plug it back in. If you do not have the disc changer, you must also purchase the wiring harness that it uses.

Very cool. I like this a lot. May have to look at getting an IPod.

but how 'bout sound quality?

This seems to be what I am lookling for. However,the previous replies never made any "clear" mention of sound quality from this IPod/aux set up. How is the sound quality?

I, myself, had rigged up a set up using an FM modulator, a portable MP3 player and playing through the stock GM radio. This set up left much to be desired. My tunes sounded like, well like radio quality, not CD quality like MP3's are supposed to sound. I wound up removing this set up since I wasn't pleased.

Again, If anyone can reply with the "quality" of the sound produced with this set up. Please reference the sound quality with resepect to CD quality sound or plain radio quality sound or worse than that even. This would defitnately be more discriptive and would help us decide if this set up is in fact worth spending bucks on.

Something you guys might look into is the latest issue of Corvette Enthusiast. (It's the August '05 issue). They have an article on how to install the Aux-Box system that connects your iPod to your factory Bose sound system. The Aux-Box will allow you to control the iPod right through your factory headunit. If this is what you are interested in you should check out this issue to read about their pros and cons.

Sharon, I think this is probally what you are looking for.

BoeingMan said:
This seems to be what I am lookling for. However,the previous replies never made any "clear" mention of sound quality from this IPod/aux set up. How is the sound quality?

I, myself, had rigged up a set up using an FM modulator, a portable MP3 player and playing through the stock GM radio. This set up left much to be desired. My tunes sounded like, well like radio quality, not CD quality like MP3's are supposed to sound. I wound up removing this set up since I wasn't pleased.

Again, If anyone can reply with the "quality" of the sound produced with this set up. Please reference the sound quality with resepect to CD quality sound or plain radio quality sound or worse than that even. This would defitnately be more discriptive and would help us decide if this set up is in fact worth spending bucks on.

I have no experience with this but I agree that any FM modulator setup would be just that, just as good as your best FM station. The whole point of the AUX/BOX is to digitally connect to the head unit the way the CD changer does. I would expect that this would sound as close to CD quality as you're going to get. But keep in mind this is only as good as the encoding of your MP3 files. If your files are sampled at 96kbps then there is nothing that can make them sound CD quality.

Let me say again, I have no experience with this setup and hopefully someone that has used it will chime in. I will be checking the article reubenmc mentioned.

reubenmc said:
Something you guys might look into is the latest issue of Corvette Enthusiast. (It's the August '05 issue). They have an article on how to install the Aux-Box system that connects your iPod to your factory Bose sound system. The Aux-Box will allow you to control the iPod right through your factory headunit. If this is what you are interested in you should check out this issue to read about their pros and cons.

Sharon, I think this is probally what you are looking for.

I wish I knew how to get a hold of that magazine online..
that sounds good.

Pages 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6 of the article.

They are fairly large files but are not really legible in a browser window. Right click, select save target as and save them to your computer. They should be pretty legible.

Gorgon said:
.....If your files are sampled at 96kbps then there is nothing that can make them sound CD quality.....

What kbps should a person look for to get CD quality sound?? What's the highest # you can get and lowest #??

Sharon, you find that article??

Bob Chadwick said:
Pages 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6 of the article.

They are fairly large files but are not really legible in a browser window. Right click, select save target as and save them to your computer. They should be pretty legible.

Pages 3,5, and 6's links don't work. Did you scan and upload them? If so, thanks for all the trouble :)

I agree anything over 120 is considered CD quality encoding. The most popular encoding bit rates are the 128, 160, 192, 320.

Most of my MP3 are 160 and sound absolutely outstanding through my home stereo. I can tell no differance between a riped tune at 160 or above and the original recording off of the original CD. (...even at 128 I'm hard pressed to tell the difference)

It would be great to hear from someone that has "actually" installed this Ipod/aux set up with a comparison betwwen CD quality or not. Also when I installed my FM modulated set up there was an anoying hiss in the backround that contributed to my removing that set up. Does the ipod/aux set up hiss?

Anyone??

Sharondippity said:
Pages 3,5, and 6's links don't work. Did you scan and upload them? If so, thanks for all the trouble :)

My pleasure.

Try now. For some reason only 3 of the 6 files uploaded. I think my space limitation might be reached there. Anyway, they are all on line now.

The "Ipod to car" setup sounds great. There is no hissing sound in the background. I just transfered my CD collection into itunes on my computor and then transfered the soungs I wanted to my Ipod. I cannot tell any difference between CD or Ipod quality. The article in the magazine does give some minor faults that do come up sometimes, but if you install the Ipod in the center consol they are quick to remedy while driving. I just installed this last weekend. It took about two hours.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom