Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Is the Chevrolet Camaro cannibalizing sales of the Corvette?

Corvette
2012 💯 4LT GS Roadster

Last year was brutal for the auto industry, with sales down by 21 percent versus 2008. Sports cars were hit even harder, as many customers shied away from spending big dollars on what typically amounts to a second or third vehicle. The Chevrolet Corvette was no different, as America's sports car saw sales plummet 48 percent versus 2008 – the worst year for Vette sales in nearly 50 years. But was the drop in Corvette sales because of the economy, or its new pony car stablemate, the Camaro?

Autoblog

hmmm....used Vette or new Camaro....nope....a Vette buyer is a Vette buyer....NOT a Camaro buyer.

I'd say the Camaro takes away from the Impala market .About the same size just a little sportier.
I'd say the Vett market is off because the lack of $$$ in the general economy.

hmmm....used Vette or new Camaro....nope....a Vette buyer is a Vette buyer....NOT a Camaro buyer.
This is very true. I'd never get rid of my Corvette and go "backwards" but I do think some guys are downsizing, or should I say they just don't have the extra cash to buy a new Corvette. I read guy's wanting the leasing deals to come back for Corvette. I think GM should wake up and get a leasing program going for Corvette. With around only 6000 2010 Corvettes made so far , things aren't going very well for Corvette right now. $2500.00 incentive doesn't cut it either.

I'd say the Camaro takes away from the Impala market .About the same size just a little sportier.
I'd say the Vett market is off because the lack of $$$ in the general economy.

If I were going to bet on this....I would say your corecto-mundo....having bought my first vette last summer-end and I did 'briefly' consider Camaro....never looked at one, thats cause I wanted a vette. Drovwe Camaros my whole life (when I had a car that is...in early 90's went to trucks and SUV's) traded the last camaro in on my first truck...

............ I think GM should wake up and get a leasing program going for Corvette. With around only 6000 2010 Corvettes made so far , things aren't going very well for Corvette right now. $2500.00 incentive doesn't cut it either.

:wSorry to say but do you think that Nancy want to sell those nasty Vettes?? They will let it die a slow painful death then say "well that's not what the people want". The plant will be sold to Tiota and will make fuel efficient non polluting cars, like they always do. As a matter of fact why do we need Vettes at all when Camrys and Prius can easily achieve 95mph!!;LOL
The people want to save the polar bears and the planet as well as reduce carbon footprint and bring down the incredible global warming caused by those nasty republicans.:boogie

Personally, I don't think the Camaro is having an impact on Corvette production. To me, the Corvette is more of an exclusive car than the Camaro and although I really like the new Camaro (with the exception of the retro dash - yuck), I really don't want to see a Corvette around every corner. I kind of like the fact that the Corvette has always been a low volume production car.

Hmmm, I'd have to disagree with you. I bought a 1992 Corvette, then a 1999 Corvette, then a 1987 Camaro. I have all there presently and do not plan on selling anyone any time soon.

CG

Personally, I don't think the Camaro is having an impact on Corvette production. To me, the Corvette is more of an exclusive car than the Camaro and although I really like the new Camaro (with the exception of the retro dash - yuck), I really don't want to see a Corvette around every corner. I kind of like the fact that the Corvette has always been a low volume production car.
I have to admit, that there are certain things about the new Camaro that I do not like either. I do not like the rear-end / tail lights. The dash and gauges are terrible too. Whatever happened to functionality / ergonomics? It looks like a car that was put together from parts from different GM divisions... somewhat like the Solstice or Skye, but worse. Sorry, but throughout everything that GM has been through, they have not learned a thing. I am a die-hard American at heart, but I find it hard to support American companies when they clearly have no clue. If they do have a clue, they still have a lot of convincing to do.

CG

I kinda agree with you there Rob. Especially about the dash. :L

The Fbody has always been a car that really caters to two audiences.

• Folks that want to look like they have a muscle car (base)
  • Those who want a muscle car (IROC, Z28, SS, Formula, Trans Am)
Still, Vettes and Camaros are different cars with different purposes. I really don't see Vette sales being cut into. But when you have $40K+ to spend, you probably aren't really wavering between a four seater and a two seater. Most folks know what they want at that point. ;)

JMHO- Vettes are sports cars (great handling, two seats) with the power plant of a muscle car (V8). :thumb

Instead, the Camaro is eating into Ford Mustang sales. :upthumbs:dance

CJ - Having lived and worked down south quite a bit, y'all is just fine! :thumb

BTW - Do ya know what plural for y'all is? ;shrug

L8TR - D

All y'all ? Unless you're from western PA, then it's younz......as in younz better get the hell away from my Vette RIGHT NOW! :boogie:boogie:boogie
Andy :w

The largest difference between the Corvette and Camaro is the number of seats they have. This alone puts them into 2 different classes. They both go like Hell. They both perform very well.

Here's something you may not know~ The "problematic" LS7 is scheduled to go into the upcoming Z28. I guess it isn't that "problematic" if the people who designed & built it think it will make for a good fit.

Here you go... I guess we have no taste.

2010 Wards Interior Of The Year Winners — Autoblog

CG

When I see a new camaro or a mustang I have to look a second longer to see if it is the base V-6 version or is it an 8.

People dont need to look or think twice about that with a Vette. Any Vette.

In 5 years will the V-6 powered Camaro be a sought after car by camaro enthusists or will it be just another used car? I say it will be just another used car.

Unfortunately, the corvette has become "just another used car" already. The prices are falling. It is most likely a function of the economy.
The real difference is that the Vette is a desired "just another used car".
If you look at the real collectibles as found at the big auctions, they are usually the ones with big engines and rare options/features.
A good indication of how a car will fare is how many you see at the rentals. There are a ton of V6 Camaros & Mustangs. They are bought and sold like fruit. It really cheapens the marque.
Does the Camaro take sales from the Vette??
IMHO - It probably takes more sales away from Mustang.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom