Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Is there an easy way to crank the engine, yet inhibit starting?

89Z51

Corvette
2008 Z06
My C6 is coming out of storage and will be fired up for the first time in 6 months. With my C4, I would always unhook the ignition coil so i could crank the engine until oil pressure would build before I actually started the engine. Is there any way to do a similar thing easily with a "modern" Vette? I'd imagine pulling the right fuse (or maybe two) would do it, but which ones can be pulled without upsetting the ECM? Any suggestions would be welcome!

My C6 is coming out of storage and will be fired up for the first time in 6 months. With my C4, I would always unhook the ignition coil so i could crank the engine until oil pressure would build before I actually started the engine. Is there any way to do a similar thing easily with a "modern" Vette? I'd imagine pulling the right fuse (or maybe two) would do it, but which ones can be pulled without upsetting the ECM? Any suggestions would be welcome!

On the bottom side of the under hood fuse panel cover it should list all the fuses and relays and their position, your owners manual may show you also. Remove the fuel pump relay and the vehicle will crank and not start. I would just start it normally though, as cranking it slowly (5-600 rpm's maybe?) will take a long time to build oil pressure, and cranking it that long with potentially dry bearing surfaces (which is why I assume you are doing it) after sitting 6 months could theoretically do more damage than good. If I'm to be honest though, if you have a high quality oil in the engine no damage will happen either way. Good luck with it. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom