Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Is this stock?!?!

Bolisk

Corvette
1972 LS5 Convertible PS, PB, A/C
So here is what I have.

1970 Coupe
origional 4speed Muncie
3.55 diff
non-stock sized B.F.Goodrich 235 65R15 with a overall diamater of 26.1 inches.

So, according to all the driven gear calculators on the internet, they all say I should be using a 22 tooth silver driven gear. Ok. . .fine by me. . .

Now, those same calculators also say that with stock F70 R15 tires with a diamater of 26.9 - 27.1 overall diamater. . .should have been using 21 tooth red gear. Also fine by me.

Now, before I swaped the driven gear for the 22 tooth, the car was reading about 3 mph faster than actual speed. After the 22 tooth swap the car is now reading 5 mph slower than actual speed. . . .

So what's the deal you might ask? Well, when I jacked the car up and removed the driven gear. . .my car. . .supprizingly had an 18 tooth gear installed!!!!! How in the hell is that stock? To add to that, the speedo cable was not connected directly to the transmission. . .rather is was connected to a 90 degree adapter device. I'm assuming that it's an adapter with a gear ratio change in it.

So. . .the question is. . .is that 90 degree device with the 18 tooth driven gear stock in 1970? Anyone know? I can't find any info in any docuementation (shop manual, chassis / overhaul manuals, or the assembly manual).

The reason I ask is, I would like to keep stock parts. I figured that if it was stock then I would continue to use the 90 degree device and just but a 19 or 20 tooth driven gear installed.

So. . .the question is. . .is that 90 degree device with the 18 tooth driven gear stock in 1970? Anyone know? I can't find any info in any docuementation (shop manual, chassis / overhaul manuals, or the assembly manual).

No, it's not. Your car was "born" with a 21-tooth red gear, assuming it had the 3.55 axle originally.

The ratio adapter box was only used from '71-up, with 3.70, 4.11, and 4.56 axles, in combination with the small-diameter "family" of 18-22 tooth driven gears.

:beer

so why in the heck would my car have it. ..
I'll ask the previous owners.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom